Sunday, December 20, 2020

New Testament BIBLE STORY #27

New Testament  BIBLE  STORY


#27 




Chapter Thirty-six:


Jesus' last Passover on earth - part two




JESUS TELLS JUDAS TO DO 

HIS WORK QUICKLY


     It was well into the night of the 14th. It was the early

hours past midnight, and Jesus was very troubled in spirit, and

said, "Truly, it is indeed true, what I say unto you; one of you

shall betray me." 

     The disciples again with a sleepy dazed look on their faces,

were not certain of whom He was speaking about. In fact

"betraying" was just too hard for them to imagine. One of His

disciples (it was John) was stretched out somewhat, lying half

across Jesus' chest, as they were all in a relaxed and lazy

lounging position. Simon Peter beckoned to John and asked him 

to ask Jesus, whom He was speaking about, as John was the closest 

to Christ. So John said to Jesus, "Lord, who is it?"

     Jesus, paused for a moment, then said, "It is he to whom I

shall give this morsel of bread, when I have dipped it." Jesus

got up and dipped a small portion of bread and He gave it to

Judas Iscariot. Then after Judas took it, Satan once more entered

into him (the Devil had left Judas for a while, but was now back

with a vengeance as we say).

     Jesus looked at Judas and said, "What you are going to do,

do it quickly."


     The disciples heard Him saying those words and still did not

realize why He had said them, or what they meant. Some thought

that because Judas had the money box (as he was banker for them)

Jesus was telling Judas to go and buy things that was needful for

them as they observed the feast; or, that he should give

something to the poor. Their minds were as far away from knowing

what Jesus really meant and what about was to happen the rest of

that night, as east is from west.

     Judas stood up and immediately left. It was a dark night in

more than one way.


     After Judas had gone, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of man

glorified, and in Him is God glorified; and if God is glorified

in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself."

     The time had come in the history of the universe that God's

great plan of redemption for the human kind, was to take its

literal fulfilment, and the time that BOTH God the Father and

Christ Jesus would be glorified as this plan of salvation took

reality.


     Jesus looking more intently at the eleven disciples, went on

to say, "Little children, for yet a little while I am with you.

You will seek me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you,

'Where I am going, you cannot come.' A NEW commandment I give to

you, it is, that you LOVE one another, EVEN AS I LOVED YOU, that

you ALSO LOVE one another. And by this all men will know that you

are my disciples, IF you have LOVE one for another" (John 13:

21-25).


     Jesus had certainly set that perfect example of how love

between brethren should be lived. He wanted all His disciples to

emulate His example. Then people would indeed know that such

people who lived as Jesus had lived towards His disciples while

on earth, were His true followers. In this down-to-earth,

nitty-gritty, sometimes hard ways to strive against, it is not

always easy to live up to the example of Jesus, as we work with,

fellowship with, talk with, and inter-act with, other disciples

of Christ. But we must try, we must endeavor, to follow His

example in this matter of love towards others in the flock

that belongs to Jesus.


JESUS' WORDS DO NOT IMBED TOO DEEPLY


     No sooner it seemed had Jesus spoken these words of the

disciples having love one towards another, that they were into

arguing among themselves as to which one of them was to be

regarded as the "greatest."

     Jesus had to intervene with words He had told them once

before, "The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them;

and those in authority over them are called benefactors. They

rule each other with iron dictatorship. But it shall NOT be so

with you! Rather, let those who would want to be the greatest

among you become as the youngest, and the newest kid on the

block. And those who would want to lead as the one who serves.

For which is the greatest, the one who sits at the table, or the

one who serves? Is it not the one who sits at the table? But I

have been among you as one who serves."


     The whole life and ministry of Jesus was one of service, one

of helping, healing, doing goodness, having mercy, on people and

for people. He served in teaching and preaching the wonderful

truths of the salvation and Kingdom of God. Jesus had lived and

acted as anything but a despot or iron fisted dictator, although

He spoke pretty plainly a few times to the religious leaders of

the day.


     He had even at this late time in the evening and in His

physical life, to correct His disciples on a matter that was

important. But He wanted to leave this conversation point

in an upbeat, positive manner, so He said, "You are those who

have continued with me in my trials; as my Father has appointed 

a Kingdom for me, so I have appointed that you may eat and drink 

at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve

tribes of Israel" (Luke 22: 24-30).


     The Kingdom that Jesus was thinking about, the one that the

Father had appointed Him to have, was to be a literal Kingdom on

this earth, one that would rule all nations. The Kingdom that the

prophets of old had foretold about over and over again in their

writings, was the one that they also foretold the Messiah would

be king over. Jesus again promised His eleven as it was now, that

they would each rule over one of the tribes of Israel when His

Kingdom came.


TO THE MOUNT OF OLIVES


     It was time to close this event of the Passover celebration

in the upper room. They all sang a hymn, and then Jesus and His

disciples went to the mount of Olives.


     Peter had not forgotten what Jesus had told them about Him

going away, so he asked Christ, "Lord, where are you going?"

Jesus answered, "Where I am going you cannot follow me now; 

but you shall follow afterwards."


     Jesus was probably here talking about what would happen to

Him in the next 12 or so hours, eventually dying on the cross.

Though the disciples could not follow Him in all He would under

go the rest of the 14th day, many of them would in their life time, 

be put to death for their following in the footsteps of Christ.


     Jesus then looked at all the eleven and said to them, "You

will all fall away because of what I will go through this night;

for it is written, 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will 

be scattered' (Zech.13: 7). But after I am raised up, I will

go ahead of you into Galilee."

     Turning once more to Peter, Jesus, said to him, "Peter,

Peter, Satan desired to have you, that he might sift you as 

wheat is sifted, but I have prayed for you that your faith may 

not fail; and when you are converted with the Spirit, I want 

you to strengthen your brethren."

     Peter stood up straight at these words from Jesus. He put

his shoulders back, raised his chin, got a strong defiant look on

his face, and with boldness and with force in his voice, said,

"Oh, Lord, even though they all fall away I will not. I am ready

to go with you to prison and death, Yes, I will lay down my life

for you."

     Jesus smiled a little, then said, "O, Peter, it is true what

I'm going to say. This very night before the cock crows twice,

you will have denied me three times."

     Peter vehemently and immediately shot back with, "Lord, 

if I must die with you, I will not deny you." And the other ten

disciples all said the same thing. They had no idea their words

would come flying back in their face, much sooner than they ever

thought, for all of them would have to eat their words, as they

would all forsake Jesus within the next short while, as the

events of that night would escalate and explode out of control.


     Jesus said to them, "I sent you out once with no purse or

bag, or extra sandals, and did you lack anything?" They replied

that they did not. "Well now," Jesus continued, "let him who has

a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no

sword, sell his coat and buy one. For I tell you this Scripture

must be fulfilled, 'And he was reckoned with transgressors' (Isa.

53: 12), for what is written about me has its fulfillment."

     The disciples looked at each other, some of them moved their

outer garment to reveal a few swords. "Look Lord," they said,

"here we have two swords." And Jesus seeing this said, "Alright,

that is enough, the prophecy is fulfilled" (Luke 22: 31-38;

Mat.26: 30-35; Mark 14: 26-31; John 13: 36-38).


SOME FINAL IN-DEPTH TEACHING  

ON FAITH, HOPE, LOVE, AND OBEDIENCE


     There was still some time left before He would be betrayed

by Judas Iscariot. Jesus would use that time to give His

disciples some very important teachings and encouragement.


     Jesus said:


     "Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe

also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it was not

so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And

in so preparing a place for you, I will come again, and receive

you to be with me, that where I am when I come again, you may 

be also. You know the way to where I am going."


     Jesus was going to go back to be with God the Father in

heaven. While there He would prepare positions of rulership for

all His disciples. Then He would come again. He would receive 

His disciples at His coming, as we have seen, He would receive 

them in the clouds, in the air or atmosphere of this earth. The clouds

are relatively close to the earth's surface. From there He would

continue to descend with His followers to the mount of Olives.

His disciples of all ages from the time of Adam, would then be

with Jesus forever more.  I have in past chapters given you

passages of Scripture to prove what I have just stated.


     At these words from Jesus, Thomas said, "Lord, we do not

know or understand where you are going; so how can we know the

way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life;

no one comes to the Father, but through me. If you have known me

then you will know the Father also; so you really do know the

Father and have seen Him."

     Philip spoke up and said, "Lord, show us plainly the Father,

and literally seeing Him we will be satisfied." Jesus replied,

"Oh, have I been all this time with you, and you do not know me

Philip? He who has seen ME has also seen the Father; how can you

say, 'Let us see the Father'? Do you not believe that I am IN the

Father and the Father IN me? The words that I say to you I do not

speak from mine own authority; but the Father who DWELLS IN me

does His works. Believe me that I AM IN the Father and the Father

IS IN me; or believe what I say because of the works I do. Truly,

very true indeed, I say to you, he who believes in me will also

do the works that I have done; and yes, even greater works than

these, many will do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you

ask in my name, I will do, that the Father may be glorified in

the Son. If you ask anything in my name I will do it. IF you LOVE

me, you WILL keep my COMMANDMENTS!" (John 14: 1-15).


     Jesus was the very personification of the Father. Seeing and

knowing Jesus as the 12 disciples had for three years or more,

was just like as if they had literally seen the Father. If the

Father had actually come down from heaven and stood before the

disciples, they would have seen another Jesus Christ. What Jesus

was trying to convey to them was that He and Father were like

identical twins. And if you have ever seen identical twins you

will know that it is just about impossible to tell them apart,

they are so much like each other.

     Jesus and the Father were IN each other, as was the one so

was the other. And Christ had done the works during His ministry

to prove beyond any question or doubt that He was IN the Father

and the Father was IN Him!

     Many would come after He was back in heaven, Jesus said,

that would do the same kind of works as He did, even sometimes

greater works. And this we shall see was indeed true, as we go

through the book of Acts in this New Testament Bible Story.

     Jesus once more reminded them to ask in His name, and many

things would be granted, so God could be glorified in the Son.

     Then Jesus finished this part of His last hour of teaching

them while still a human being, by telling them that if they

loved Him, they would keep His commandments. This last 

request  or command certainly does not sound like Jesus was 

"doing away with" commandments, but firmly establishing them. 

And a reading of the rest of the New Testament, especially the 

letters of the apostle John (1, 2 and 3 John) and the letter of James, 

clearly show that commandment keeping is to be a very important 

part of the life of anyone who claims to love Jesus.


PROMISE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT


     Jesus told His disciples, "And I will pray to the Father and

He will give you another encouraging Counselor, to be with you 

at all times, even the Holy Spirit which will lead you into all

truth. The world cannot receive the Holy Spirit, because it

neither sees him or recognizes him; you know him, for he dwells

with you now, and shall be in you later. I will not abandon you

as orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will

not see me again, but you will. For I will live again, and you

will also. When I am raised to life again you will know that I am

in the Father, and that you are in me, and I in you.

Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. 

And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love

them. And I will reveal myself to each one of those who love me."

     Judas (not Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name)

said to Him, "Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself to us

and not to the world at large?" Jesus answered him, "All those

who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and WE

will COME to them and LIVE in them. Anyone who does not love 

me will not do what I say. And remember my words are not my own.

What I say is from the Father who sent me. I am telling you these

things now, while I am still with you. But when the Father sends

the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, in my name, he will teach you

everything and remind you of everything I have told you.

     I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart. And

the peace I give is not like the peace the world gives. So do not

be troubled or afraid. Remember what I have told you: I am going

away, but I will come back to you again. If you really love me

you will be happy for me, because now I can go to the Father, who

is GREATER than I am. I have told you these things before they

happen so that you will believe when they do happen. I don't have

much more time to talk to you, because the prince of this world

approaches. He has no power over me, but I will do what the

Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love

the Father. Rise up now, and let's go a little further."


     In Jesus' last in-depth teaching while still a physical man,

this was the great promise He gave that the Holy Spirit would

come to His disciples and unite with their minds. This came about

on the great feast of Pentecost, as we shall read later in the

second chapter of the book of the Acts of the apostles. From that

day forward the Holy Spirit has ever been available to beget the

children of God. The Holy Spirit is the power nature that comes

from the very being of God the Father and Jesus Christ, and in so

coming into human kind, it is just as if God the Father and Jesus

Christ were BOTH living inside that human being. That is why

Jesus said that both He and the Father would come and live within

the disciple. They live in the disciple by means of their Holy

Spirit.

     Jesus here uses "he" for the Holy Spirit, or so the King

James Version and others translate. It is all really a "technical" 

Greek grammar rule of writing, which does not concern us here 

in this writing of the New Testament Bible Story.

     The Holy Spirit is not a literal person, as are Jesus and the

Father. Many writers in the Bible used what is called

"personification" - which is giving human form and character to

things not being a separate individual person. A very good

example is that found in the book of Proverbs. There we see that

"wisdom" (which is of God) is liked unto a physical human woman. 

And of course we today in our English language often call our car

or boat "she" - we may say, "Well, something is wrong with my car

today, she just would not start."


     Jesus said He would give His disciples "peace" - of mind and

heart. The child of God knows truths of life and death and the

promise of what is to come, that the rest of the world does not

know or understand, not in the way true Christians do. There is

much comfort and peace in knowing the truths of God.

     Jesus was freely giving His life as a sacrifice for sins.

The Devil had no power over Him, except what Jesus Himself

allowed, and He was going to allow Satan to kill Him physically

because it was the Father's will, for the salvation plan of mankind 

that the Father had ordained from before the world began. And Jesus 

was willing to obey the Father's wish, desire, and commands.


VINE AND BRANCH ANALOGY

AND COMMAND TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER


     Jesus said, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the

vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears NO fruit, He takes

away, and every branch that DOES bear fruit He prunes, so that

they produce even more fruit. You have already been pruned  for

greater fruitfulness by the words and teachings I have given you.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot bear

fruit if is cut off from the vine, and so you cannot be fruitful apart 

from me.

     Yes, I am the true vine and you are the branches. Those who

remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart

from me, cut off from me, you can do nothing that is everlasting,

and eternally good. Anyone who parts from me is thrown away like

a useless branch and dries up, being dead. Then such branches are

gathered into a pile and burned. But if you stay joined to me and

my words remain in you, you will receive many answers to your

requests. My true disciples joined to me will produce much fruit.

This brings great glory to my Father."


     These are simple words to read and understand. They are also

the heart and core of being a true disciple and child of God the

Father. If we remain in Christ, which means we know His word, 

and we are willing to obey His commands, then and only then can 

we produce the fruit that is fit for eternal life. Not that we earn

our salvation as I've said a number of times before, but we must

remain IN Jesus so we will not be a cut off branch that is

useless and only good to be burned up. As we stay in Christ, we

will automatically produce fruit, and the Father wants fruit

produced. He expects that when He gives His gift of grace through

Christ to someone, they will use it to grow and produce

worthwhile fruit. He will be glorified by branches (Christians)

of the vine (Christ) producing much fruit.



     Jesus finished this thought and teaching with, "I have loved

you even as my Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When 

you obey me you remain in my love, just as I obey the Father and

remain in His love. I have told you all this that you will be

filled with my joy. Yes, you will have an overflowing joy. 

     I command you to love each other as I have loved you. 

And here is how to measure it - the greatest love is shown when

people lay down their lives for their friends. You are my friends

IF you obey me. I no longer call you 'servants' because the

master does not confide and open up to his servants in personal

ways. But I call you 'friends' as I have opened up to you and

told you everything the Father told me. You did not really

choose me. It was I that chose you. I appointed you to go and

produce fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you

many other things that you may ask for, when using my name. 

I COMMAND YOU to LOVE each other!" (John 15: 1-17).


     Once more, some pretty simple words to understand, from

Jesus. His followers are to remain in His love, and remaining in

His love means they OBEY Him, as He obeyed the Father. Jesus

commands His disciples to love each other, and the ultimate love

is to lay down our lives for another. Jesus was in a few hours

going to literally lay down His life for the love of His disciples 

and for all mankind. We may not be called upon to literally give 

our life up for another human person (some people do as we now 

and again see on TV news reports), but we must, as we have seen 

Jesus emphasize in parables and teachings of the past, be willing 

to serve and help others as we can, by the means that we can, 

especially those who are the disciples of our Lord and Savior. 

This was not a "suggestion" from Jesus, it was a COMMAND!


     Yes, what we are reading, the words of Jesus just before He

gave up His life for His friends, for you and me, are plain and

simple....they are the plain truth.


                 ...........................


Written January 2003     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment