Saturday, December 26, 2020

New Testament BIBLE STORY #28

 New Testament BIBLE STORY 


#28



Chapter Thirty-seven:


Jesus' last Passover on earth - part three




JESUS WARNS OF PERSECUTION


     Jesus continued with plain words to His disciples, "If the

world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.

If you were of the world, doing what the world does, the world

would love you; but because you are not living like the general

world lives, but I chose you to live differently, then the world

will hate you. Remember the word I said to you that a servant is

not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they

will also persecute you; if they keep my word, they will also

keep yours. They will persecute you because of me, for they do

not know the One who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to 

the world, they would not understand what sin is; but now they 

really do not have any excuse for their sin. 

     He who hates me, hates my Father also. If I had not done in

the world the works that I did do, which no one else ever did,

they could say they do not understand what sin is; but now they

have seen and heard, and they hated both myself and the Father.

All this fulfils the words written in their law, 'They hated me

without a cause.' But when the Holy Spirit comes, whom I will

send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, that

proceeds from the Father Himself, he will bear witness of me; 

and you also are witnesses because you have been with me from 

the beginning of my ministry.

     I have said all this to you to help keep you from falling

away. They, your persecutors, will throw you out of the churches;

indeed, the day is coming when whoever KILLS you will THINK 

he is offering SERVICE to GOD! And they will do all this because 

they have not known the Father, nor known me. But I have said these

things to you, that when they do these things, you will remember

I told you it would happen at times until I come again" (John 15:

18  to 16: 4).


     And so the history of the last two thousands year has shown

that at times some of God's true people have been persecuted even

unto death, often by others who claimed the name of Christ,

thinking that by killing people they were actually serving God.

Such can be the depths of deception that the human mind can fall

into, usually helped along in that deception by Satan the Devil

and his demons.


WORDS OF COMFORT


     Jesus now goes into quite a long talk about Himself and the

Holy Spirit, to give comfort and encouragement to all His

disciples from the day He spoke them, to the day of His return 

in glory.


     "I did not say these things to you at the beginning, because

I was with you. But now I am going to Him who sent me; yet 

none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' But because I have 

said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless

I tell you the truth; it is to your advantage that I go away, for

if I do not go, the Holy Spirit will not come to you; but if I

go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convince

and convict the world of sin and of righteousness and of judgment. 

Of sin, because they do not believe in me; of righteousness because 

I go to the Father, and you will see me no more; of judgment, 

because the ruler of this world is judged.

     I have many things to say to you, but now is not the right

time, for you are not in the state of mind to hear all I have to

say to you. When the Spirit of truth has come, he will guide you

all into the truth; for he will not speak to you by his own

authority, but whatsoever the Spirit hears that it will speak to

you, and he will declare and help you understand the things 

that are yet to come on this earth. He will glorify me, for he will

take what belongs to me, and declare it to you. All that the

Father has is mine; therefore that is why I said to you he will

take what is mine and declare it to you.

     In a little while, you will see me no more; then again in a

little while, you will see me once more. "


     Some of the disciples said to each other, "What is this that

Jesus talks about, 'A little while, and you will not see me, and

again a little while and you will see me'; and 'because I go to

the Father'? They said to each other that they did not understand

what Jesus was saying by "a little while.' They were again very

puzzled by many things He was saying of late, and now puzzled

over this, "a little while" talk.

     Jesus knew they wanted to ask Him to be clearer in His

talking to them.  Jesus said to them, "Is this what you are

asking each other, what I meant by saying, 'A little while, and

you will not see me, and then a little while and you will see

me'?  Well, shortly you will all weep and lament, while the world

will rejoice; you will be filled with sorrow, but your sorrow

will be turned into joy. When a woman goes into labor and is

ready to deliver a child, she has sorrow and anguish because her

time to bring forth a child has come; but when she has brought

forth her baby, her anguish she no longer remembers, for her

joy that a child is born over shadows any anguish she had. So,

you have sorrow now, you are down cast and low in the spirit 

of your minds, but I will see you again and your heart will then

rejoice, and no one will be able to take away your joy of heart.

On that day you will ask me no questions. But truly I say to you,

if you do ask anything of the Father,  He will give it to you, in

my name. If you have not yet asked anything in my name, then ask,

and you will receive, in order that your joy may be full.

     Yes I know I have often spoken to you in parables and

analogies; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to

you in parables and analogies, but I will tell you clearly and

plainly what comes from the Father.  At that time you will ask in

my name; and I will not have to pray to the Father for you; for

the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved me and have

believed that I came from the Father. So the Father will answer

you. Yes, I have come from the Father into this world, and again

I am going to leave this world and return to the Father."


     "Ah, now you are speaking plainly," the disciples said, "and

not in parables. We know that you know all things, and need no

one to question you about that fact. And by all this we believe

you have come from God."

     Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? The hour is

coming, indeed it has come, when you will all be scattered, every

man to his home, and will leave me alone; yet I am not alone, for

the Father is with me. I have said this to you, that in me you

may have peace of heart. In the world you will at times have

tribulation; but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world,

and you can also, if you have me with you" (John 16: 4-33).


     Once more Jesus gave them the hope and comfort that the Holy

Spirit would come and lead them, teach them, give them strength,

and guide them into remembering all that Jesus had taught them,

and also lead them into more of the truths of God.


     Jesus was telling them that He would be taken away from them

in a very short time, that they would be scattered, they would be

in sorrow, anguish, very low in their hearts and minds, somewhat

like being very sad over the loss of a close friend, or a pet dog or cat. 

But, He was also assuring them that they would see Him again, 

and they did indeed after He had risen from the grave.

And Jesus told them that at that time they would be in utter joy,

which, as we shall see later, they certainly were. 

     He told them to be asking the Father in His name, and He was

telling them that the Father loved them, because they had loved

Him and believed that He did come from the Father. He told them

He did come from the Father, and that He now needed to go back 

to the Father.


     The disciples could now understand those clear words of

Jesus' and they told Him they very much believed He had come 

from the Father.

     Jesus acknowledged what they now confessed, but wanted to

tell them that even in their state of belief, they would very

shortly be scattered by the events that would unfold, and He

would be a lonely individual, yet not alone because the Father

would be with Him.

     Jesus told them that sometimes in the life of a disciple of

His, there would be trials, tests, troubles, and tribulation; but

He wanted them to know they could still have great joy, to be 

of good cheer, for as He had overcome the world with all its

tribulations, so they likewise could overcome the world. 


     With God the Father and Jesus Christ living within us

through the Holy Spirit, we can have victory over Satan, our

carnal pulls of the flesh, and over all the tribulations that

the world can sometimes throw at us. When those disciples 

were filled with the Holy Spirit on the feast of Pentecost (Acts 2),

they were filled with the very power and nature of God, and did

go forth into the world, did at times face tribulations, but they

remembered and understood all the words Jesus had spoken to 

them, while He was with them on earth. They did have cheer in 

their hearts and they did overcome the world.


JESUS' PERSONAL PRAYER FOR HIS DISCIPLES


     Jesus lifted up His eyes to heaven and said, "Father, the

hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you,

since you have given Him power over all flesh, so that he might

give ETERNAL LIFE to all whom YOU have given to HIM. 

And this is eternal life, that they may KNOW YOU the ONLY 

true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you 

on earth, having accomplished and done all the works you gave 

me to do; and now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with 

the GLORY I HAD WITH YOU BEFORE the world was made.

     I have manifested your name to the men whom you gave to me

out of this world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and

they HAVE KEPT my WORD. Now they KNOW that EVERYTHING 

you gave me was FROM you; and they have BELIEVED that YOU 

DID send me. I am praying FOR THEM; I am not now praying for 

the world, but for THOSE whom you gave to me, for they are YOURS. 

All mine are yours. And yours are mine. I am glorified in them. 

     Now I will soon be no more in this world, but they will

remain in this world, while I am coming to you. Holy Father,

PLEASE KEEP THEM in the name which you gave to me, that 

THEY may be as ONE, even as WE are ONE.

     While I was with them I kept them in the name you gave to

me; I have guarded and protected them, and not one of them is

lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be

fulfilled. But now I am coming to you; and these things I have

spoken while in the world that my disciples may have the joy

fulfilled in themselves. I have given THEM your WORD; and the

world has hated them because they are not of the world, even as I

am not of the world. Please Father, set them apart in the truth;

YOUR WORD IS TRUTH. As you did send me into the world, 

so I send them into the world. And for their sake I set myself apart 

in you, that they also may be set apart in the truth.

     I do only not pray for these by disciples that are here, but

also for those who will believe in me through their word of

teaching, that they ALL may be ONE; even as you, Father, 

are in me, and I in you, that they also may be IN US, so that the 

world may believe that you DID SEND me. 

     The glory that you gave to me I give to them, that THEY may

be ONE even as WE are ONE. I in them and you in me, that 

THEY may become PERFECTLY  ONE, so that the world may 

know that you did send me, and have loved THEM as you loved ME. 

     Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may

be with me where I will be, in your Kingdom, to behold my GLORY

which you have given me in the love for me before the foundation

of the world. 

     O righteous Father, the world has not known you, but I HAVE

KNOWN you; and these my disciples have known that you have sent

me. I made known to them YOUR NAME, and I will make it known

always, that the love with which you have loved me may be in

THEM, and I IN them" (John 17: 1-26).


     

     There is little to comment on here, the words of Jesus in this 

prayer are clear and simple to read and understand. It is worth going 

over them again, slowly, and often, with thoughtful meditation.


     When Jesus had spoken these words He went on with His

disciples, across the Kidron Valley to a garden called

Gethsemane.


               ...............................


Written January 2003


No comments:

Post a Comment