Sunday, February 21, 2021

NT BIBLE STORY--- ACTS AND EPISTLES--- ACTS 24 THROUGH 26

 New Testament BIBLE STORY


Acts 24-26 - Paul before King Agrippa



                          CHAPTER 24


     Felix the governor would hear the case against Paul when his

accusers arrived. Till then Paul was imprisoned at Herod's

headquarters. 

     Five days later Ananias, the High Priest arrived with some

of the Jewish elders and an orator, by the name of Tertullus, to

press charges against Paul. They stated to Felix (through the

orator they had with them):


          "Your Excellency, you have given much peace to the Jews

and have enacted reforms for us, to have this peace. For that we

are most grateful to you (during that time in the first century

the Roman government gave the Jews all the freedom they needed 

to practice their religious faith). But not to bore you, please give

me your attention for a short time, as I outline our case against

this man Paul. We have found him to be a trouble maker, a man 

who is constantly inciting the Jews throughout the Roman world, 

to riots and rebellions against the Roman government. He is a

ringleader of a sect known as the Nazarenes. Further more he was

trying to defile the Temple when we arrested him (Some manuscripts 

of the New Testament add; 'We would have judged him by our law, 

but Lysias, the commander of the garrison, came and took him 

violently away from us, commanding his accusers to come before you.'). 

You can find this truth of our accusations by examining him yourself"

     Then the other Jews spoke up and said all that Tertullus said was 

true (verses 1-9).


     Now Paul was given a turn to speak. The governor motioned to

him to stand up and speak.  Paul said:


     "I know, sir, that you have been a judge of Jewish affairs

     for many years, and so this indeed gives me confidence as I

     speak to you in my defense. You can soon discover that it

     was no more than twelve days ago that I arrived in Jerusalem

     to worship at the Temple. I did not argue with anyone in the

     Temple, nor did I incite a riot in any synagogue, or on the

     streets of the city. These men from Jerusalem cannot prove

     anything that they accuse me of doing. But I do admit that I

     follow THE WAY, which they call a sect. I worship the God 

     of our ancestors, and I firmly believe all the words written in

     the prophets in God's Scriptures given to us Jews. I have

     hope in God, just like these men do, that He will raise both

     the righteous and the ungodly. Because of this, I always try

     to maintain a clear conscience before God and before

     everyone else. After several years away, I returned to

     Jerusalem with money and goods to aid my people and to offer

     sacrifices to God. My accusers saw me in the Temple as I was

     completing a purification ritual. There was no crowd around

     me and there was no rioting. But some Jews from the province

     of Asia were there  - and they really should be here to

     bring charges against me if they have anything to charge me

     with. Ask these Jews here what wrongdoing the Jewish

     Sanhedrin court found in me, except for one thing I said

     when I shouted out, 'I am on trial before you today because

     I believe in the RESURRECTION of the DEAD'" (verses 10-21).


     Felix, who was actually quite familiar with THE WAY 

(though we are not told by Luke how he was familiar with the 

group following and teaching the about the Lord Jesus), adjourned 

the hearing and said, "Wait until Lysias, the garrison commander

arrives, then I will decide the case." He ordered an officer to

keep Paul in custody but to give him some freedom and allow his

friends to visit him and take care of his needs (verses 22-23).


     A few days later Felix came with his wife, Drusilla, who was

Jewish. Sending for Paul, they listened as he told them about

faith in Christ Jesus. As Paul reasoned with them about

righteousness and self-control and the judgment to come, Felix

became quite upset and fearful. "Go away for now Paul, when 

it is more convenient, I'll call for you again," said Felix.

     Felix was also hoping Paul would try to bribe him and buy

his freedom, so he sent for him on a regular basis and talked

with him. Two years went by in this way, Paul coming before

Felix, but then Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus. As Felix

wanted to gain favor with the Jewish leaders, he left Paul in

custody, a type of imprisonment, until Festus arrived to take

over from him (verses 22-27).


CHAPTER 25


     Three days after Festus arrived in Caesarea to take over his

duties from Felix, he left for Jerusalem, where the leading

Jewish priests and elders met with him and made their accusations

once more against Paul. They asked Festus to do them a favor and

transfer Paul back to Jerusalem (they actually had planned to

way-lay Paul on his way back and kill him). But Festus replied

that  Paul was at Caesarea and he would be returning there

himself soon. So he told them, "Those of you in authority can

return with me. If Paul has done anything wrong, you can make

your case against him" (verses 1-5).


     It was about eight or ten days later that Festus did return

to Caesarea, and on the day after he arrived back, Paul's trial

began. When Paul was in court, the Jewish leaders from Jerusalem

made all kinds of serious accusations against Paul, which they

simply could not prove. 

     Paul denied all the charges, and said, "I am not guilty. I have 

committed no crime against the Jewish law or the Temple or

the Roman government."

     Then Festus, who wanted to try and please the Jews, asked

Paul, "Are you willing to go to Jerusalem and stand trial before

me there?"

     Paul replied, "No! I am not! This is an official Roman

court, so I ought to be tried right here. You know very well that

I am not guilty. If I have done something worthy of death, I will

not refuse to die. But if I am innocent, neither you or anyone

else has the right to turn me over to these men to kill me. I

appeal to Caesar!"

     Festus then conferred with his advisers and then replied,

"Very well then Paul. you have appealed to caesar, and to Caesar

you shall be sent" (verses 6-12)


     It was a few days later that king Agrippa arrived with 

Bernice, to pay their tribute to Festus. During their stay of

several days Festus discussed Paul's case with the king. "There

is a prisoner here," he told him, "whose case was left for me by

Felix. When I was in Jerusalem, the leading priests and other

Jewish leaders accused him of many evils and wanted me to

sentence him. Of course I quickly pointed out to them that Roman

law does not convict people without a trial. They are given an

opportunity to defend themselves face to face with their

accusers. When they came here for the trial, I called the case

the very next day and ordered Paul to be brought in. But the

accusation made against him were not the accusations I expected

at all. It was all about their religion and some fellow named

Jesus, who died, but whom Paul insists is alive. I was perplexed

as to how to conduct an investigation of this kind, and I asked

him if he would be willing to stand trial in Jerusalem. But Paul

appealed to the Emperor. So I ordered him back to jail until I

could arrange to send him to Caesar."


     Agrippa was by now very curious about the whole situation

and about this man called Paul and the man he preached about

called Jesus. "I'd like to hear this man Paul," Agrippa said to

Festus. "Very well then, you certain shall. I will have him

brought to us tomorrow," was Festus' reply (verses 13-22).


PAUL SPEAKS TO AGRIPPA


     The next day Agrippa and Bernice arrived at the auditorium

with great pomp, accompanied by military officers and prominent

men of the city. Festus ordered Paul to be brought in. Then

Festus said, "King Agrippa and all present, this is the man whose

death is demanded both by the local Jews and by those in

Jerusalem. But in my opinion he has done nothing worthy of death.

However he has appealed his case to the Emperor and I have

decided to send him. But what shall I write to the Emperor? for

there is no real charge against him. So I have brought him before

you all, and especially before you king Agrippa, so that after we

have heard from him, I might have something to write. For it does

not seem reasonable to send a prisoner to the Emperor without

specifying the charges against him" (verses 23-27).


CHAPTER 26


     Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You may speak now in your

defense."


     So Paul, with a gesture of his hand started his defence:


     "I am fortunate, King Agrippa, that you are the one hearing

     my defense against all these accusations made by the Jewish

     leaders, for I know you are an expert on Jewish customs and

     controversies. Now I ask that you listen to me patiently. As

     the Jewish leaders are aware, I was given a thorough Jewish

     training from my earliest childhood among my own people and

     in Jerusalem. If they would admit it, they know I have been

     a member of the strict Pharisees sect of our religion. Now I

     am on trial because I look forward to the fulfillment of

     God's promises made to our ancestors. In fact that is why

     the twelve tribes of Israel worship god night and day, for

     they share the same hope I have. Yet, king, they say it is

     wrong for me to have this hope! Why should it seem

     incredible to any of you that God should raise the dead? 

     I once believed that I should do everything I could to

     oppose the followers of Jesus of Nazareth. Authorized by the

     leading priests, I caused many of the believers in Jerusalem

     to be sent ot prison.

     And I cast my vote against them when they were condemned to

     death.

     Many times I had them whipped in the synagogues to try to

     get them to curse this Christ man they believed in and

     preached. I was so violently opposed to them that I even

     hounded them in distant cities of foreign lands.

     One day I was on such a mission to Damascus, armed with

     authority and commission from the leading priests. It was

     about noon time, your Majesty, and a light from heaven

     brighter than the sun shone down on me and my companions. 

     We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in

     Aramaic, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard

     to fight against my will.' 'Who are you, sir,' I asked. And

     the Lord replied, 'I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting.

     Now stand up! For I have come to you to appoint you as

     my servant and my witness. You are to tell the world about

     this experience and about other times I will appear yo you.

     And I will protect you from both your own people and the

     Gentiles. Yes, I am going to send you to the Gentiles, to

     open their eyes that they may turn from darkness to the

     light, and from the power of satan to God. Then they will

     receive the forgiveness for their sins and be given a place

     among God's people, who are sent apart by faith in me.'

     And so, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to that

     vision from heaven. I preached first to those in Damascus,

     then in Jerusalem and throughout all Judea, and also to the

     Gentiles, that all must turn from their sins and turn back

     to God - and prove they have changed by the good things 

     they do. 

     Some of the Jews arrested me in the Temple for preaching

     this and they even tried to kill me. But God has protected

     me so that I am still alive today to tell these facts to

     everyone from the least to the greatest. 

     I teach nothing except what the prophets and Moses said

     would come to pass - that the Messiah would suffer and be

     the very first to rise from the dead, as a light to the Jews

     and to the Gentiles, alike" (verses 1-23).


     When Paul said Jesus was the first to rise from the dead, he

was meaning that Jesus was the first human to ever gain eternal

life in glorious immortality. Not one other human as ever be

raised or given immortal like. No not Enoch, not Moses, not

Elijah, not any other human. That is made clear in Hebrews 11,

where we are told that all of God's children from the beginning

have died, and they without us will not be made perfect, or given

immortal glorious perfect life. Jesus, Paul said in his writings,

has PREEMINENCE in ALL things, and one of those all things, 

is the first human to gain everlasting immortal life.


     It was at this point in Paul's speech that Festus shouted

out with anger, "Paul, you are insane! Too much study has made

you a crazy man!"

     But Paul replied, "No, I am not insane, Most Excellent

Festus, I am speaking the truth soberly. And King agrippa knows

about these things. I speak frankly, for I am sure all these

events are familiar to him, for they were not done in a secret

corner! King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that

you do...."

     King Agrippa interrupted Paul, "Do you think you can make me

a Christian so quickly? A little more of your arguments and you

would probably make me a Christian I think."

     Paul cried out at these words form Agrippa, "Whether quickly

or not, I pray to God that both you and everyone here in this

audience might become the same as I except with no chains, as I

have at this time."

     

     Then the king, the governor, Bernice, and all the others stood 

and left. As they talked it over they agreed, "This man has not done 

anything worthy of death or imprisonment." 

     And it was Agrippa who said, "He could be set free if he had

not appealed to Ceasar" (verse 24-32).


                      .................


Written November 2004

     


No comments:

Post a Comment