Friday, February 19, 2021

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF KEITH MALCOLM HUNT #16

 THE  AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF 

KEITH MALCOLM HUNT



At  the  time  of  this  disaster  at  Waco,  my  wife  and I  were  living  in  Florida;  I  would  often  say  to  her, "The  FBI  and  all  those  involved  in  trying  to  have  the  Koresh  group  come  out,  had  no  clue  what  they  were  dealing  with."  Which  was  fanatical  planet  Pluto  leadership  and  brain-washed  individuals,  and  children.  Following  it  all  each  day,  I  noted  that  some  inside  the  compound  were  allowed  to  leave.  One  was  the  local  mother  in  Oshawa  that  had  attended  our  service  with  Lois  Roden [who  was  the  leader  until  she  died,  and  before  David  Koreth  assumed  leadership].  Her  daughter  jumped  out   of  a  window  when  the  fire  started.  They  both  survived  the  horror  of  it  all.  


The  story  of  Jim  Jones [look  him  up  on  the  Internet]  was  a  leader  of  a  religious  group  that  started  out  well  enough,  served  and  helped  people,  but  over  time,  he  also  became  convinced  he  was  God’s  “special  agent”  and  went  off  into  fanatical  teachings  and  brainwashed  those  with  him,  unto  the  death  of  them  all  and  their  children


I  have  a  book  called  “Churches  that  Abuse”  while  not  mentioning  David  Koresh  or  Jim  Jones;  the  book  is  full  of   groups  that  are  very  similar  to  Koresh  and  Jones,  and  I  could  add  similar  to  the  Radio  Church  of  God  that  eventually  went  the  same  way—— into  a  cult  mind-set!


Back  to  1984  my  parents  had  decide  to  immigrate  to  Canada,  my  Dad  was  given  early  retirement  at  age  63.  They  had  visited  Kelowna  in  the  Okanagan

valley  of  B.C.  a  year  earlier.  They  had  returned  home  and  had  sold  their  house,  and  got  things  going  with  the  immigration  department.  It  was  pretty  simple  for  them.  All  I  had  to  do  was  sign  that  they  would  not  be  on  welfare  for  10  years.  That  was  no  problem  as  my  parents  had  money  and  by  Dad  a  nice  pension  from  the  Mackintosh  company  he  worked  for,  over  36  years.


By  1984  my  parents  were  landed  immigrants  in  Canada,  and  went  to  live  in  the  beautiful  Okanagan  valley  in  B.C. in  the  town  of  Kelowna. 


By  1987  I  knew  my  parents  would  never  be  living  in  the  Oshawa  area  of  Ontario.  If  I  was  to  be  near  them  I  would  have  to  move  where  they  were,  [I  was  an  only  child]  so  we  made  the  decision  to  do  just  that.  My  right  hand  man  Jerry  would  carry  on  where  I  left  off  in  God’s  work.  

We  took  a  quick  visit  to  Kelowna,  saw  the  house  market,  and  work  situation,  it  was  a  buyers  market.  We  sold  up  and  packed  up  and  moved  out  to  Kelowna  B.C.  We  looked  after  3  somewhat  mild  young  men  with  physical  and  mental  troubles,  for  the  first  1  and  1/2  years.  All  going  very  well.


There  was  a  pastor  and  his  wife  we  had  known  form  way  back;  they  were  pastoring  a  small  congregation  church  in  Penticton,  about  45  minutes  south  of  Kelowna;  Des  and  Jean  were  their  names.  Knowing  we  were  living  now  in  Kelowna,  he  was  happy  to  let  me  be  his  second  pastor  of  the  congregation.  All  was  going  smoothy  in  every  way.  Spiritually  and  physically.


Then  the  Social  Service  Department  decided,  because  we  had  done  such  a  great  job  looking  after  the  3  men  they  gave  us,  they  would  put  them  out  on  their  own.  They  came  to  us  to  ask  what  we  thought.  I  told  them  there  was  no  way  these  men  could  live  on  their  own.  But  they  had  already  made  their  decision,  guess  they  had  to  do  something  to  qualify  for  their  pay-check.


So  they  did  what  they  had  decided  to  do.  It  all  turned  out  to  be  a  disaster  within  a  month.  One  example  I’ll  give.  One  of  the  lads  loved  “geto-blasters”  as  they  were  called  back  then.  He  would  each  week  take  the  one  he  had  and  trade  it  in  for  another  at  the  “second-hand  store”  down  town.  He  had  now  been  put  on  his own;  given  money  to  pay  his  rent  and  buy  food.  There  was  a  knock  on  the  door  one  Friday  late  afternoon.  There  he  was——

“Hi  Keith  can  I  come  and  stay  with  you  over  the  week-end?”

“Well….. I  guess,  okay.”

The  next  words  from  him  were, “O  look  at  my  great  machine.”

He  had  taken  the  $500  given  to  him  from  the  Social  Department  for  rent  and  food,  and  he  had  immediately  gone  out  and  bought  a  brand  new  geto-blaster!  


Monday  morning  I  entered  the  Social  Department  office  with  him  and  his  geto-blaster,  and  said  to  them, “Now  you  created  this  problem,  now  you  fix  it.”


I  learnt  a  week  or  so  later  he  was  living  with  another  couple.  Sometimes  Social  Service  Departments  are  think  in  the  head,  and  you  wonder  how  they  got  their  degree.


Fortunately  for  me  I  was  able  to  pick   up  a   job  as  a  Shoe  Repair  man  in  a  new  store  just  opening,  and  they  needed  a  qualified  man  in  that  skill.  I  was  also  teaching  guitar  for  a  local  music  school.


I  was  still  publishing  my  20  to  40  page  magazine  called  “The  Truth  of  the  Matter”  to  our  mailing  list  we  had  back  in  the  Oshawa  years;  I  had  my   own  copying  machine.  I  had  about  100  people  on  the  mailing  list,  most  in  North  America  but  some  in  other  countries.


A  man  came  into  the  Penticton  church,  a  man  about  5  foot  5  inches  and  stout.  He  began  to  come  regularly;  everyone  got  to  know  him.  Including  a  single  lady;  he  and  her  were  in  their  top  40s  to  early  50s  I  would  say,  never  did  ask,  no  need  to  ask.

They  got  friendlier  and  friendlier  as  time  went  on.  Then  I  was  informed  they  were  engaged  to  be  married.  Everyone  was  happy  for  them.  On  a  number  of  Sabbaths,  after  services  I  would  sit  across  from  them  as  we  ate  our  refreshments.  Normal  Sabbath  talk,  and  all  seemed  very  normal.


The  wedding  day  had  been  set  for  a  lovely  place  out  of  town  and  my  friend  the  pastor  was  to  officiate  the  service.  My  wife  and  I  did  not  attend,  we  had  something  else  on  the  go.


That  evening  the  phone  rang—— “Pastor Keith,  it’s June, [who just got married],  he  won’t  take  off  his  clothes….. O  he  is  actually  a  she!  What  do  I  do?”

“June…wow…you  need  to  tell  the  she  to  pack  their  clothes  and  get  the  heck  out  of  your  home  and  immediately  get  an  annulment  of  you  marriage.”


That  was  about  all  that  was  said  between  us.


I  had  actually  sat  across  from  this  person  a  number  of  time  at  our  eating  table  after  services;  looked  male,  spoke  with  a  male  voice,  absolutely  nothing  to  detect  the  he  was  really  a  she.  That’s  how  hormone  drugs  can  do  things;  outwardly  a  she  can  be  a  he,  and  an  he  can  be  a  she.


A  few  days  later  I  get  a  letter  from  Pastor  Des  in  Penticton,  saying  mind  my  own  business.


I  replied  to  him  it  was  June  who  called  me,  and  it  was  my   business  as  a  minister   of  Jesus  Christ.  I  never  heard  from  him  again.


I  told  my  wife  we  would  not  be  going  back  to  that  Penticton  church  until  I  knew  June  had  done  what  I  told  her  to  do.   About  6  months  went  by,  and  the  man  I  knew  in  Vancouver  called  me  to  “chit-chat”—— he  was  the  guy  who  knew  everything  about  all  the  Sabbath  churches  once  part  of  the  Radio  Church  of  God.  I  was  relating  how  I  was  doing  and  the  mockery  of  June’s  wedding  to  a  she,  who  was  fooling  us  all  by  being  a  he.  I  told  him  we  were  not  back  with  the  Penticton  church  because  I  would  not  go  back  until  it  is  was  all  sorted  out.  He  then  said,  “O  Keith  you  do  not know? “

“What  am  I  supposed  to  know,  I've  not  heard  from  June.”

“Well  she  did  exactly  what  you  told  her  to  do.  She  did  it  immediately.”

I  was  so  glad  to  hear  that.

June  decided  to  attend  a  Seventh  Day  Adventist  church  in  Kelowna;  she  met  a  nice  man  there,  and  they  were  married.


I  was  working  as  shoe  repair  man  in  my  secular  work.  The  man  who  was  the  owner  was  about  30  years  of  age,  married  and  had  two  small  children.  It  was  a  franchise  deal  he  had.  One  day  as  we  were  working  together,  he  blindsided  with,  “Keith,  I  have  not  made  the  kind  of  money  the  head company  said  I  would  make  out  here  in  Kelowna [he and his family were from down Toronto way],  so  I’m  giving  you  lots  of  notice  that  in  6  months  I  will  hand  this  store  back  to  the  head   company.  Now  they  will  probably  try  to  sell  it  again,  and  the  next  person  or  people  may  not  want  you.”

I  appreciated  his  comment  and  good  notice  he  was  giving  me.

And  that  is  what  happened;  some  single  guy  bought  the  store,  and  was  going  to  run  it  as  a  one  man  show.  I  thought  best  of  look  fella,  you  have  to  be  open  and  work  7  days  a  week,  only  one  day  off - Christmas  day,  when  the  Orchard  Park  Mall  closed  down.

I  heard  he  ran  it  for  about  a  year,  and  then  it  was  gone.


Well  all  secular  work  for  me  had  dried  up,  and  there  was  just  nothing  in  the  Okanagan  valley  for  me.  Teaching  guitar  would  not  give  us  enough  to  live  on.


It  was  1990  and  selling  houses  in  the  valley  there  was  super  good  money  in  it.  What  was  happening  was  that  rich  people  from  Hong Kong  were  buying  up  houses  in  Vancouver  for  a  high  price [those  people  wanted  out  from  Hong  Kong  before  it  was  handed  back  to  China  by  the  British].  These  Hong Kong  people  were  buying  old  Vancouver  homes  for  a  very  high  price,  so  Vancouver  people  could  buy  a  really  nice  home  in  the  Okanagan  valley,  pay  cash  for  it  and  still  have  two  to  three  hundred  thousand  dollars  in  the  bank.


I  said  to  my  wife,  “Look  it  would  seem  we  are  not  mean  to  stay  here  any  longer,  there  is  no  secular  work  for  me  any  more.  We  need  to  sell  this  house  while  the  market  is  a  sellers   market,  and  move  on.”


We  tried  for  a  while  to  hang  on,  two  or  three  months,  but  it  was  useless.  We  did  sell,  got  some  nice  cash  in  the  bank,  and  so  it  was  moving  time  again.


It  was  nearly  fall  time;  we  decided  to  make  our  way  down  and  across  country  to  my  wife’s  mother  and  her  new  husband,  who  stay  in  Florida  for  the  winter;  they  had  a  mobile  home  near  Clearwater.  I  was  also  in  touch  with  a  fellow  minister  towards  and  near  Florida;  there  was  going  to  be  a  Feast  of  Tabernacles  site,  right  on  the  way  to  Florida.  The  plans  were  we  would  observe  this  Feast  with  them  and  whoever  else  was  there.


We  would  make  our  trip  down   as  enjoyable  as  possible,  taking  in  the  sights  of  areas  neither  of  us  had  ever  seen.  We  stopped  in  Idaho  and  had  a  day  with  one  of  the  ministers  who  like  me  had  left  the  Biblical  Church  of  God.  Our  next  big  plan  was  travelling  to  Utah  and  Salt  Lake  City.  We  had  the  day  there  and  went  inside  that  famous  Mormon  Tabernacle  where  you  can  hear  a  pin  drop,  the  acoustics  are  so  amazing.  Then  it  was  on  to  the  Grand  Canyon.  On  the  way  we  stopped  at  Brice  Canyon,  did  not  know  it  existed,  and  is  certain  very  different.  We  arrived  at  the  Grand  Canyon  early  in  the  morning  as  the  sun  was  rising.  It  was  all  very  spectacular.  Then  it  was  down  to  Arizona,  and  Phoenix.  Very  different  scenery  for  sure,  the  red  rocks  of  all  shape  and  sizes,  some  quite  spectacular.  We  had  3  days  in  Arizona,  hot  and  dry  weather.  Then  on  and  through  Texas.  We  were  only  in  Texas  a  short  while  near  sunset,  and  down  came  the  rain,   I  mean  I  had  never  seen  a  rain  like  it,  since  leaving  Britain  at  age  18.  It  was  truly  a  wild  storm,  we  were  happy  to  get  to  a  motel  for  the  night.


We  arrived  at  the  south  coast  town  where  the  Feast  of  Tabernacles  would  be  held.  Nothing  unusual  over  that  period  happened,  all  enjoyable.


Now  our  sights  were  set  for  Clearwater,  Florida.


I  well  remember  entering  Florida  for  the  first  time;  you  got  to  the  border  of  Florida  and  it  was  like  a  wet  blanket  was  throw  over  you,  just  that  sudden,  like  stepping  into  a  steam-room,  well  not  as  bad  as  that, but  it  was  hot  and  damp.  We  made  our  way  to  Clearwater  and  my  wife’s  mother’s  trailer.  We  had  a  nice  evening  and  then  went  looking  for  a  motel.  We  found  one.


A  few  days  later  we  see  this  “duplex”  for  sale.  It  was  October  1990.  The  price  was  a  give  away  price,  the  duplex  was  nothing  fancy  per  se  but  nice  and  neat.  One  side  we  could  live  in  over  the  winter  months and  the  other side  rent  out;  it  was  all  a  win  win  deal;  we  bought  it,  and  settled  in  for  the  winter.  There  was  a  Sabbath  church  in  Clearwater  that  once  was  part  of  the  Radio  Church  of  God.  That’s  where  we  decided  to  attend.


We walked into a cornet's nest


..............................


To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment