Saturday, February 20, 2021

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF KEITH MALCOM HUNT #17

 THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF

KEITH MALCOLM HUNT


We  had  arrived  in  Florida,  bought  a  nice  small  duplex,  on  the  edge  of  Clearwater,  and  we  were  heading for the Sabbath at  a  church  under  the  umbrella  of  The  Church of God, International.


CGI was  the  abbreviated  letters  it  was  known  by.  Now  they  were  a  group  of  ministers  and  lay  members  that  had  left  the  Radio Church of God  about  1979.


The  service  was  over,  but  not  the  talking—— their  one  time  minister  had  moved  to  another  part  of  the  USA;  his  secular  work  had  transferred  him.  This  “deacon”  stood  up  and  ballasted  their  one  time  minister;  his  wife  and  some  others  were  cheering  him  on.  There  was  the  opposite  side  voicing  their  opinion.  Back  and  forth  it  went  like  cats  on  a  hot  tin  roof  trying  to  fight  each  other.  I  was  shocked  that  this  was  happening.  I  could  take  it  no  more  and  finally  told  up  and  said,  “I  am  a  minister,  and  brethren  this  not  the  way  to  be  going  on,  especially  immediately  after  church  service,  with  strangers  in  the  room,  like  my  wife  and  myself.  You  should  be  handling  this  in  private,  church  members  only  present.”


Well  that  got  this  deacon,  his  wife,  into  more  agitation.  Within  seconds  I  had  become  the  enemy  of  this  deacon  and  his  wife.


I  had  no  idea  what  all  the  rift  was  about,  and  at  this  point  I  did  not  want  to  know.


That  service  was  over  and  it  was  clear  there  were  two  fractions  of  this  congregation  opposed  to  each  other.  The  CGI  office  was  situated  in   Tyler,  Texas.  One  of  the  men  there  I  was  equated  with.  This  church  rift  of  course  got  back  to  the  Tyler  office.  The  man  I  knew  there,  told  the  one  time  pastor  of  this  CGI  church  in  Clearwater,  to  get  back  to  them  for  the  next  Sabbath  service  and  try  to  sort  out  the  problem.


The  following  Sabbath  service  arrived;  their  one  time  minister  brought  the  sermon,  I  guess  he  and  the  Tyler  office  hoped  it  would  fix  things  up.  It  did  not.  This  man  deacon  and  his  wife  immediately  after  services,  was  again  accusing  this  pastor  of  this  and  that.  The  split  in  the  congregation  was  at  it  again.  It  was  sad  to  see  nothing  had  changed.  I  well  remember  that  pastor  leaving  very  sadly,  and  going  back  home  to  wherever  he  was  now  living  in  the  USA.


That  local  church  was  now  divided  over  me,  the  deacon  and  his  wife  suspicious  I  had  some  secret  agenda  going  on.  I  told  this  deacon  to  his  face  that  I  had  no  agenda  at  all.  We  were  just  visiting  for  the  winter.  He  did  not  believe  me  or  did  not  want  to  believe  me.  My  wife  and  I  just  kept  a  very  low  profile  from  then  on  out.  Some  people  in  the  congregation  did  warm  up  to  us,  and  over  the  winter  months  we  invited  them  over  to  our  home  for  fellowship  and  a  meal  after  services.  Yet  the  deacon  had  his  followers  would  not  talk  to  us.  Each  Sabbath  service  you  could  cut  the  air  with  a  knife.  I  sat  down  and  wrote  a  letter  to  this  deacon  explaining  again  we  were  not  there  to  do  anything  but  to  fellowship  with  the  church  on  the  Sabbath.  My  letter  still  never  got  through  to  him  and  his  wife.  For  them  they  were  the  “good guys”  and  we  the  “bad  guys.”


I  did  write  to  the  man  I  knew  in  Tyler [his  name  was  Ron  Dart],  and  told  him  I  had  tried  talking  to  this  deacon  and  his  wife,  to  no  avail.  I  did  tell  him  the  trouble  in  this  Clearwater  church  was  most  definitely  being  cause  by  the  deacon  and  his  wife.  


The  months  went  by,  and  it  was  close  to  Passover  time.  Ron  Dart  informed  the  Clearwater  church  he  would  come  down  and  conduct  the  Passover  service  and  stay  for  a  few  days  into  the  Feast  of  Unleavened  Bread  and  bring  a  sermon  or  two.  I  think  the  deacon  and  his  wife  and  their  followers,  were  thinking  my  wife  and  I  would  not  show  up,  because  for  them  we  had  some  secret  agenda  to  do  something  like  take  over  the  church  and  take  it  away  from  the  CGI  umbrella.  Which  was  utterly  ridiculous,  but  when  demons  are  at  work,  anything  can  get  twisted  around  in  the  minds  of  people.


Passover  service  came.,  so  did  Ron  Dart;  so  did  my  wife  and  I. 


The  first  day  of  the  Feast  of  Unleavened  bread,  there  were  others  there  from   out  of  town.  Ron  Dart  brought  the  sermon.  After  services  it  was  our  custom  to  all  mingle  and  fellowship  with  each  other;  we  usually  had  drinks  and  finger  food.  At  an  appropriate  time,  when  Ron  did  not  have  a group  of  people  around  him.  I  went  to  him  to  talk;  we  greeted  each  other  warmly  and  had  a  conversation.  I’m  sure  most  everyone  saw  that  Ron  and  I  were  good  friends.


Shortly  after  I   had  walked  back  to  my  wife,  a  couple  came  over  to  us  and  said,  “We  are  sorry,  but  we  got  off  to  a  bad  start  with  you,  please  forgive  us,  and  can  we  start  over  again?”

“Of  course  we  can”  I  replied.

We  were  good  Christian  friends  from  then  on  out.


After  Ron  Dart’s  visit  a  few  more  warmed  up  to  us;  sorry  to  say  the  deacon  and  his  wife  did  not;  they  were  still  at  loger-heads  with  us  and  others,  and  they  still  had  their  group,  but  now  somewhat  smaller.


It  was  a  few  weeks  later  that  my  Dad  called  me  and  said,  "Keith  your  mother  is  dying  better  get  up  here  fast.  Now  I  knew  my  Mom  did  not  have  good  health,  but  this  was  still  a  shock.  My  wife  and  I  packed  our  suit  case,  was  able  to  get  a  flight  immediately  to  Toronto,  and  on  "compassionate"  fare  fee.  From  Toronto  a  flight  to  Kelowna  B.C.  We  arrived  at  about  7 pm  in  Kelowna.  We  headed  straight  for  the hospital.  My  Dad  was  there  and  told  us  the  story.  The  day  before,  Mom  could  not lift  her  leg  off  the  couch.  Dad  told  her  he  was  taking  her  to  the  emergency.  The  doctor  took  a  blood  sample  from Mom.  He  returned  and  told  my  Dad  that  she  had  contracted  a  rare  cancer  that  attacks  the  muscles.  It  is  painless  so  you  do  not  even  know you  have  it,  until  you  can't  move  a  leg  or  arm.  He  went  on  to  say  that  the  last  muscle  it  attacks  is  the  heart.  My  Mom  only  had  hours  to  live.


We  stayed  till  11 pm  and  then  a  "hospice"  lady  came  for  the  night.  Mom  was  already  asleep  so  I  never  got  to  speak  to  her  and  she  never  got  to  see  me.


At  2  am  the  phone  rang.  It  was  the  Hospital  telling  us  my  Mom  had  passed  away  in  her  sleep.


I  conducted  the  funeral  service  three  days  later.  It  was  a  very  nice  funeral,  with  songs  my Mom  always  liked;  there  was  a  good  turn  out  as  they  had  been  part  of  a  10-pin  bowling  club  since  1985.


We  stayed  around  for  a  few  more  days,  making  sure  my  Dad  was  okay  with  things.  He  was,  because  for  10  years  he  had  done  all  the  cooking  and  house  work,  because  of  Mom's  bad  health  with  the  crippling  type  of  arthritis  she  had.  Some  years  earlier  I  had  made  her  a  pair  of  shoes  to  fit  her   feet,  as  her  toes  were  all  bumped  up  and  out  of  shape.  I  made  an  extra  one  for  me  to  keep;  so  it's  also  here  on  my  book  stand.  


My  Dad  was  okay,  and  so  we  headed  back  to  Florida.


It  was  the  same  ol'  same  with  that  CGI  church  in  Clearwater.


I  had  done  all  I  could  to  try  and  set  things  straight  with  that  deacon  and  his  wife.


I  said  to  the  Father,  “I’ve  done  what  I  could,  as  Jesus  said  in  Matthew  18,  if  you  have  problems  with  your  brother.  I’ve  done  it  Father,  and  now  I  have  to  leave  it  in  your  hands.”


So  it  was  now  Spring  time,  and  time  for  us  to  move  on.


We  decided  to  go  north—— way  up  to  New  Brunswick;  we’d  never  been  there  before,  but  we  knew  a  few  people  in  the  Saint  John  area.  The  travel  north  was  unaventful.  What  was  amazing  was  when  we  were  over  the  top  of  New  York  city  on  Interstate  95,  and  I  looked  over  to  the  city—— it  blew  my  away  as  to  land  long  the  skyline  went  with  sky-scraper  buildings,  truly  amazing.


We  arrived  at  the  town  of  Saint  John,  a  town  back  then  of  about  75,000  people,  with  some  smaller  towns  around,  close  by.

It  is  a  lovely  area  of  Canada,  rolling  green  hills,  a  river  running  through  Saint  John.  Fredricton  is  the  capital  city  of  New  Brunswick,  and  driving  across  country  to  it  from  Saint  John  is  just  picture  perfect,  small  farms  amidst  rolling  green  hills.


We  were  not  sure  how  long  we  would  stay  at  Saint  John,  we  would  play  it  by  ear  as  the  saying  goes.  We  contacted  the  people  we  knew  and  they  were  delighted  to  see  us.  They  gave  us  a  tour  of  the  area.  We  decided  to  stay  for  at  least  3  months,  and  then  make  a  decision  if  we  would  move  along.  As  it  turned  out  I  meet  the  young  couple  who  worked  in  their  shoe  repair  store,  in  Saint  John’s  largest  mall.  And  he  needed  help  to  keep  up  with  the  work.  So  I  found  myself  offered  a  job.  I  decided  to  take  it.


We  were  into  the  summer  of  1991.  Word  arrived  that  my  wife’s  mother  had  died.  We  took  off  for  Ontario,  to  a  town  called  Orangeville,  north  and  west  of  Toronto.  The  funeral  was  over.  My  wife  inherited  $20,000.  Back  we  went  to  Saint  John,  New  Brunswick.  There  was  a  house  for  sale  in  the  village  of  Hampton,  about  20  minutes  from  Saint  John.  It  was   an  income  property;  a  main  floor  with  two  bedrooms;  and  the  lower  level  was  two,  one  bedroom  apartments.  We  bought  the  house,  lived  on  the  main  level  and  rented  out  the  two  apartments.  All  was  going  well—— then—— the  Refinery  went  on  strike.  Have  to  tell  you  about  the  Family  that  pretty  well  owns  New  Brunswick—— the  Irvin  family;  they  are  the  richest  family  in  Canada.  They  started  off  with  Grandpa’s  having  a  corner  gas  station,  and  slowly  moved  up,  invested  etc.  Now  4  generations  later  they  own  New  Brunswick,  in  the  number  of  businesses  they  own  and  the  number  of  people  they  employ.  The  Refinery  they  own;  the  Ship  building  docks  they  own;  they  are  into  Forestry;  into  Potato Chips;  they  are  into  Oil;  they  build  ship  tankers  to  carry  their  oil  around  the  world. 

The  Refinery  goes  on  strike  for  reasons  I  never  found  out.  It  went  on  for  some  months,  when  people  were  going  to  lose  their  homes  the  Union  caved  in.  The  Refinery  is  back  to  work.   Then  the  Ship  building  docks  goes  on  strike.  Now  that  reason  I  do  know  after  talking  to  a  carpenter  in  another  Union,  who  worked  on  the  ships.  I  was  asking  him  why  that  particular  Union  went  on  strike.  He  told  me,  “Keith  the  Irvin  family  are  very  nice  people,  I’ve  worked  for  some  of  them  doing  carpentry  work  in  their  homes.  They  found  out  that  the  men  in  that  Union  were  only  working  about  4  hours  out  of  their  8  hour  shift.  And  the  Irvin’s  wanted  the  right  to  be  able  to  fire  them.”

“What  on  earth  were  they  doing  the  other  4  hours—— playing  cards  in  the  corner?  I  kinda  jokingly  replied.

“That’s  exactly  what  they  were  doing!”  He  answered.

He  was  dead  serious,  they  were  doing  exactly  that,  playing  cards  for  hours  of  their  shift.

The  Irvin’s  told  the  Union  them  they  want  to  be  able  to  fire  such  people; the  Union  said  no,  and  said  they  would  go  on  strike.

The  Irvin’s  replied,  “You  do  that,  we  could  care  less,  we  are  billionaires,  and  can  have  our  ships  build  in  Japan.”


Now  you  talk  about  some  silly,  stupid  Unions—— that  is  one  classic  example.


But  the  damage  to  the  local  economy  had  been  done.  The  young  couple  I  was  working  for,  they  were  having  a  hard  time  keeping  me  employed.  I  finally  said  to  Terry [the  man’s  name],  “Terry,  you’ve  bent  over  backwards  to  keep  me  employed  but  I  know  you  just  can’t  do  it  any  more;  lay  me  off  and  at  least  I  can  collect  Unemployment  Insurance.  Terry  said  thanks  Keith,  and  so  I  was  out  of  secular  work.


The  shipbuilding  Union  lost  their  fight;  the  Irvin’s  got  to  fire  those  bumps  who  would  not  work  their  full  shift.


I  was  out  of  work  again.  We  had  our  income  home,  so  we  were  okay.


It  was  now  close  to  the  fall  of  the  year.  A  man  at  the  age  of  82,  whom  we  knew  from  a  local  Seventh  Day  Adventist  church,  called  us  and  said, “I  hear  you  have  a  duplex  in  Florida  with  one  side  vacant.  How  about  you  taking  me  there  for  the  winter  months  and  I  pay  you  for  looking  after  me?”

We  thought  about  it  for  a  day,  and  told  him  yes  we  would  do  that.


So  once  more  we  were  back  in   Clearwater,  Florida.


We  arrived  at  the  CGI  church  for  Sabbath  services.  A  man  in  the  parking  lot,  greeted  us  really  warmly,  kinda  overly  warmly.  We  got  to  the  church  door,  and  was  again  greeted  with  enthusiasm.  

“Do  you  not  know?  Have  you not  heard?”  One  man  said  to  us.

“No,  not  heard  anything,”  I  replied.

“You  know  that  deacon  who  had  it  in  for  you.  Well  only  about  2  weeks  after  you  left  he  came  down  with  cancer  from  head to  foot;  he  was  dead  within  a  week!”


My….O my,  I  was  in  total  shock;  I  know  I  told  the  Lord  I  would  have  to  leave  the  situation  with  Him….. but,  my  O  my,  never  in  my  wildest  thoughts  did  I  expect  that  was  how  He  would  take  care  of  the  problem.


The  deacon’s  wife  was  a  changed  woman,  you’d  never  have  known  it  was  the  same  lady.  The  atmosphere  in  the  congregation  was  totally  turned  to  humbleness,  it  was  a  180  degree  turn,  and  smooth  humble  joyfulness  was  everywhere  evident.  So  it  was,  so  it  came  to  be  in  that  church.


I’ve  never  said  that  prayer  again  when  in  uncomfortable   situations  with  anyone,  in  or  not  of  the  Church  of  God.


We  settled  down  to  have  a  nice  warm  winter  in  Forida.


It  was  January  1992.  There  was  a  “For  people  older  that  65”  Retreat,  not  too  far  away.  Our  82  year  old  man [forgotten  his  name,  we’ll  call  him  Tony],  said  he’d  like  to  go  to  it  for  a  week.  We  drove  him  there  and  said,  “Have  a  great  time  Tony,  see  you  in  a  week.”  


A  week  later,  we  picked  Tony  up,  and  he  had  had  a  wonderful  week,  indeed  so.  He  was  quiet  for  a  while  in  the  car,  then  said,  “I’ve  met  a  lady  over  the  last  week;  would  you  mind  if  I  go  back  to  Canada?”

What  are  you  going  to  say  to  such  a  request.

Tony  was  off  back  to  Canada  within  a  few  days.


My  wife  and  I  sat  at  the  table  and  looked  at  each  other  and  said  “Well  what  are  we  going  to  do  now?”

The  house  in  New  Brunswick  was  rented  out,  all  three  sections.


“You  are  a  shoe  maker  and  orthotic  maker;  try  looking  for  work

here  in  this  part  of  Florida”  said  my  wife.


So  I  did.  And  yes  I  found  work.  Now  someone  in  my  situation  at  the  time,  this  is  how  it  worked  then   in  the  USA.  The  Federal  Government  put  an  ad  in  its  system  for  someone  of  my  qualifications,  if  it  was  answered  the  company  wanting  to  hire  me  had  to  interview  that  person.  They  could  refuse  that  person  the  job,  but  had  to  tell  the  Feds  why.  If  there  was  no  answer  from  that  ad  by  the  Feds,  you  then  went  the  next  step.  The  company  wanting  you,  had  to  put  an  ad  in  the  local  paper,  2  inched  by  3  inches;  they  could  say  whatever  they  wanted  in  the  ad. If  someone  answered  the  company  had  to  interview  them;  if  they  refused  the  person  the  company  had  to  tell  the  Feds  why.  If  no  one  answered  the ad,  then  the  company  could  hire  me,  pending  a  medical.


Not  one  person  every  answered  the  two  ads.


I  had  my  medical,  passed with  flying  colours  and  was  now  employed  in  the  USA.


There  were  a  number  of  small  churches  in  south  Florida  who  had  left  the  Radio  Church  of  God  at  different  times,  for  different  reasons.  So  I  was  engaged  to  help  them  spiritually  on  the  weekly  Sabbath  and  Festival  times.  One  congregation  needed  a  pastor  each  Sabbath,  over  Fort  Lauderdale  way.  So  for  about  a  year  I  was  their  pastor,  and  travelling  from  Clearwater  to  Lauderdale  each  Sabbath,  the  church  there  paying  my  expenses  for  travelling  and  one  night  in  a  Motel.


There  was  a  pastor  up  north  and  west  some,  who  was  very happy  to  have  me  come  once  a  month  and  bring  a  message  and  fellowship  with  them.


The  spiritual  work  was  full  and  rewarding  over  the  3  years  that  we  lived  in  Florida,  not  without  a  few  problems  here  and  there,  but  when  pastoring  to  a  variety  of  congregations,  you  very  seldom  in  my  experience  have  no  spiritual  and  physical  problems,  yet  there  was  nothing  of  a  serious  nature  to  contend with.  Not  even  close  to  the  one  I  had   in  Clearwater  the  first  time  over  that  winter  of  1990/91.


Florida  was  not  at  that  time  a  prosperous  state  of  the  union,  more  of  a  senior  retirement  state.  A  young  skilled  carpenter  who  did  some  work  on  our  duplex,  told  me  that  for  all  the  skill  he  had,  he  could  find  no  work  that  paid  more  than  $12  an  hour.


When  you  are  the  last  to  be  employed,  you  are  usually  the  first  to  be  let  go.  Over  those  three  years  I  ended  up  working  for  these  companies.


There  was  one  very  good  working  job  I  did  for  the  second  company  I  worked  for.

This  older  than  middle  age  man  came  in  to  my  boss  and  asked  if  he  had  a  man  who  could  make  him  shoes  like  he  was  wearing.  My  boss  brought  him  to  see  me.

“I  understand  you  are  a  show  maker,  but  can  you  make  shoes  like  these  I’m  wearing.”

“Yes  I  can”  I  answered.

“I  mean  really  like  these,  not  slipper  type  shoes,  but  like  these  I’m  wearing.”

“Yes  I  can,  I  am  trained  in  making  exactly  those  type  of  shoes.”

“Well……. I’ve  searched  for  you  all  over  the  USA.  Everywhere  I  go  I  look  in  the  yellow  pages  for  shoe  makers.  When  I  get  to  see  them  they  tell  me  they  only  make  slipper  type  shoes.  My  shoe  maker  for  many  decades  has  died.  I’ve  search  for  you  all  over  the  USA.  I  am  so  glad  to  find  you.”


I  made  shoes  for  him;  his  name  was  Jim  Lynch.  I  made  an  extra  cast  and  one  extra  upper,  to  keep  for  myself.  I  still  have  then  on  display  here  on  my  book  case.  Jim  had  one  short  leg  about  1  and  1/2  inches  shorter  than  the  other.  I  incorporated  a  cork  build  up  inside  his  shoe.  I  felt  blessed  got  have  been  able  to  serve  him;  and  I’m  sure  he  felt  blessed  to  have  found  me.  It  was  one  of  those  things  that  was  meant  to  be.  I  was  there  when  he  needed  me.  God  does  things  like  that…..ah  you  bet  He  does.


Three  years  had  gone  by  and  jobs  had  run  out  on  my  trade.  We  heard  from  the  people  renting  the  main  upstairs  of  our  house  in  New  Brunswick—— the  roof  was  leaking.  It  was  time  to  sell  up  in  Florida  and  head  back  home  to  the  village  of  Hampton.


…………………………


To  be  continued


No comments:

Post a Comment