Saturday, March 6, 2021

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF KEITH MALCOLM HUNT #20

 THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF 

KEITH MALCOLM HUNT


I  soon  found  out  the  specific  purposes  of  my  Dad  wanting  to  take  3  months  in  England  and  Wales.


He  wanted  to  visit  all  the  old  places,  towns,  and  countryside  where  he  spent  time,  when  being  trained  on  a  speciality  of  engines  for  Britain’s  planes  during  WW2.


He  was  transferred  a  few  times  while  he  was  in  training.  It  was  very  interesting  to  see  places  I  had  never  seen  before.


We  also  just  spent  time  visiting  scenic  areas—— the  Yorkshire  Dales;  the  city  of  York  with  its  fine  Cathedral,  and  the  beautiful  countryside  of  the  Lake  District,  a  very  popular  area  for  tourists  from  around  the  world.


The  most  important  part  of  the  visit  was  to  decide  on  a  head-stone  for  my  Dad  and  Mom,  when  my  Dad  died.  We  talked  to  one  of  the  village’s  Council  men,  about  it  all.  My  Dad  bought  the  small  grave  plot,  in  the  village’s  grave  field,  which  was  the  field  I  remember  so  well,  it  was  just  a  literal  stone  throw  from  my  grandma’s  house  I  was  born  in.  It  was  a  beautiful  large  head  stone  my  Dad  bought.  Him  and  I  sat  down  and  decided  on  the  wording;  Dad  had  already  decided  on  much  of  it,  which  was  very  fine;  I  was  allowed  to  add  something,  which  I  did,  as  the  bottom,  thanking  my  parents  for  all  their  love  and  help  during  my  life.


The  headstone  was  engraved  by  a  local  man [never  knew  his  name]  and  it  was  placed  on  the  spot  my  Dad  had  bought.  All  that  was  needed  to  be  added  was  the  date  and  year  that  my  Dad  died.  And  that  would  be  19  years  later,  and  would  you  believe,  it  was  the  same  man  that  added  that,  who  did  the  original  engraving— never  would  have  thought  it  would  be  the  same  man— that  story  much  later.


During  that  3  month  visit  I  did  work  away  at  a  study  I  called  “Salvation  in  the  Psalms.”  It  shows  that  the  book  of  Psalms  has  everything  to  guide  you  through  the  truth  of  salvation.  Yes  it  is   all  there;  calling,  recognizing  sin,  repenting  of  sin,  justification,  penalty  of  sin  payed  through  the  mercy  of  God  by  the  sacrifice  of  Jesus,  it  includes  faith, sanctification,  the  Holy  Spirit  in  us,  and  the  walk  of  righteousness,  with  power  to  remain  faithful  to  the  end.


That  study  is  on  my  website,  under  the  “Salvation”  section;  and  it  is  somewhere  on  my  Blog [themeltdowncontinues.blogspot.ca].


The  only  Sabbath  observing  people  I  knew  about  were  some  SDA  people  in  Halifax,  the  town  I  grew  up  in.  Dad  was  willing  to  drive  me  there  each  Sabbath.  They  were  a  very  small  group,  but  warm  and  friendly;  now  and  again  they  had  a  visitor  or  two  just  for  one  Sabbath.  One  time  a  few  ladies  from  Jamaica  came,  it  was  fun  to  talk  about  Jamaica  with  them,  I  knew a  lot  already  from  the  time  I  got  to  know  many  things  from  Jamaicans  I  met  in  Ft. Lauderdale,  Florida.  I  told  them  I  found  Jamaicans  loved  to  sing.  The  one  lady  answered  me,  “Well  it  was  the  Welshman  sea-faring  James  Cook,  who  came  to  Jamaica  and  taught  us  how  to  sing.” [the  Welsh  are  always  singing,  famous  for  their  songs  and  choirs].

It  was  a  nice  story  but  lacks  true  facts.  However  it  was,  the  Jamaicans  love  to  sing.


I  had  many  nice  quiet  walks  around  the  neighborhood  where  my  Dad’s  niece  lived.  I  was  out  walking  one  day,  and  I  guess  my  jacket  I  was  wearing  was  somehow  different;  two  young  boys  took  note,  and  asked  me  about  my  jacket.  I  said  something  to  them,  and  they  immediately  said,  “Your  from  America,  right?”  I  smiled  and  said  yes.

Some  in  North  America  think  I  have  a  little  bit  of  English  accent  left,  or  some  have  not  been  sure  where  I’m  from.  But  believe  me  if  I  do  still  have  a  slight  English  accent,  it  is  absolutely  nothing  in  comparison  to  the  real  English  accent;  these  two  lads  new  I  was  not  from  Britain,  but  from  America.  I  still  get  a  smile  about  that  incident.


I  well  remember  the  day—— I  was  still  in  bed,  it  was  about  9  am.  My  Dad  knocked  on  the  door  and  came  in  to  say,  “Keith,  Princess  Diana  has  been  killed  in  a  car  accident!”


For  a  few  seconds  I  did  not  want  to  believe  it;  but  I  knew  it  must  be  so  as  my  Dad  was  very  sober  faced.  Of  course  the  whole  Western  world [maybe  the  East  also]  was  in  utter  shock.  How  on  earth  could  such  a  kind,  loving  lady  be  dead.  But  it  was  true,  and  her  young  boys  were  now  without  their  mother.


For  many  weeks  the  world  endured  this  tragedy.


The  3  months  had  it  seemed,  flown  by  very  quickly.  It  was  time  to  say  goodbye  to  Dad’s  niece  and  her  husband;  back  we  were  at  Manchester  Airport.  Dad  would  catch  a  plane  to  Kelowna,  B.C.  and  I  would  take  a  flight  to  Toronto,  and  from  there  to  Saint  John,  New  Brunswick.


The  realization  came  to  it’s  head;  there  was  no  “church  work”  with  ones  of  my  theology  faith,  and  there  was  no  secular  work  for  me.  All  of  that  would  have  to  be  in  another  part  of  Canada.  Many  in  the  Saint  John  area,  trades  people,  were  leaving  like  a  large  wagon  trail,  heading  out  West— to  Alberta;  things  were  going  great  in  oil  rich  Alberta.


It  was  time  to  move  on  once  more.  I  heard  there  was  many  people  in  Calgary  of  my  faith,  who  had  come  out  of  the  Radio  Church  of  God.  I  also  found  out  there  was  an  Orthopaedic  Shoemaker  in  Calgary,  who  was  looking  for  help.


Time  to  move  on  to  Calgary.  The  travel  out  was  basically  smooth;  did  have  to  have  a  new  fuel-tank  installed  on  the  car,  but  otherwise  smooth  sailing  as  they  say.


After  finding  a  lower  section  of  a  house  to  rent,  it  was  time  to  visit  the  only  Orthopaedic  Shoemaker  in  town;  O  must  say  this  first,  I  noticed  the  road  system  in  Calgary  was  25  years  behind,  and  they  were  busy  doing  a  catch  up,  so  with  oil  booming  and  road  construction  booming,  it  was  a  very  busy  city.


I  walked  in  on  the  Shoemaker,  Gordon  was  his  name,  and  introduced  myself,  then  knowing  he  needed  help,  I  asked  him  for  the  job.  I  should  have  written  to  him  before  leaving  New  Brunswick;  as  he  replied,  “O  Keith,  if  you’d  been  a  few  days  earlier  you  would  have  the  job,  but  my  daughter  said  she  would  like  to  learn  the  pattern/upper  making  side  to  the  trade.”


We  chatted  for  a  while,  and  I  found  out  he  had  worked  for  the  place  I  learned  the  trade,  in  Saskatoon,  this  was  after  I  had  left.  Then  after  some  years  with  them,  moved  on  to  Calgary  and  was  under  the  Province  Hospital  umbrella  for  years.  That  came  to  an  end  because  some  in  the  brace  and  limb  section,  were  not  putting  in  their  full  8  hours  work  a  day— just  fluffing  off;  reminded  me  of  the  situation  back  in  Saint  John,  with  union  people  fluffing  off  work  in  the  ship-building  docks  the  Irvine  family  owned.  Well  the  Provincial  government  in  Alberta  said,  “You  guys  in  the  Brace,  Limb,  and  Shoe  departments  are  out  on  your  own.  You  can  have  the  clients, take  them  with  you,  but  you  are  on  your  own  as  to  where  you  will  work  from.”  Hence  Gordon  had  rented  the  space  he  was  in  on  the  ground  floor  of  a  large  multi-story  office  building.


So  I  was  a  few  days  late  with  Gordon,  but  I  knew  a  Shoe-repair  outfit [Mr. Minute  it  was  called]  that  had  a  number  of  stores  in  town  were  looking  for  help.  I  got  an  interview  and  got  a  job.  It  was  in  their  down-town  shop,  in  what  was  called  then  “Eaton’s  Center.”  


It  was  a  commute  each  day  via  Calgary  Transit  Train.  It  gave  me  time  to  read  books  going  and  coming  home.  I  was  working  with  a  few  other  younger  fellows  then  me,  but  pleasant  and  I  enjoyed  it  there.  I  also  picked  up  some  part  time  teaching  guitar  for  a  Music  School.


It  was  during  that  winter  of  1997/98  that  I  met  a  man  who  was  working  on  taking  the  trade  of  “coding”  -  the  know-how  to  build  websites.  He  told  me  he  could  build  a  website  for  me,  and  so  he  did.  And  he  would  upload  the  studies  as  I  sent  them  to  him.  SO  MY  WEBSITE  WAS  BORN!  I  got  a  local  server  to  host  it,  and  I  was  away  like  a  horse  in  the  Kentucky  Derby.


It  was  a  time  for  learning  many  things  for  me;  how  to  copy  passages,  how  to  put  them  on  a  floppy  disc,  how  to  really  get  into  all  that  needs  doing  for  a  “text”  only  website.  I  had  all  kinds  of  studies  I  wanted  to  do,  but  would  for  space,  keep  them  to  text  only  studies.  All  this  went  smoothly  for  a  year  or  so.  Then  the  man  doing  the  uploading  for  me,  said  he  just  did  not  have  the  time  any  more.  So  the  website  came  to  a  stop,  what  was  there  was  there  but  adding  more  came  to  an  end….. at  least  for  a  time.


After  a  year  working  with  Mr.  Minute  shoe  repair,  I  decided  to  drop  in  and  see  Gordon  the  shoe-maker.


“Hi  Gordon,  how  you  doing”  and  just  for  fun  said,  “Do  you  have  a  job  for  me?”

“O  Keith,  YES  I  DO— my  daughter  quit  on  me.”


I  was  stunned  for  a  few  seconds,  he  was  really  meaning  it!


“How  soon  can  you  start  Keith.”

“Well  I’d  have  to  give  Mr. Minute  a  two  week  notice  of  leaving.”

Gordon  went  on  to  say,  “I  also  have  to  tell  you  I  can  only  give  you  work  for  1  and  1/2  years,  then  I  retire  down  south  in  Crows  Nest  Pass.  But  its  good  money  I  can  give  you.”


I  was  pleased  to  have  an  opportunity  to  do  my  trade  again.  I  told  him  I  would  take  the  job.


Two  weeks  later  I  was  back  doing  my  favourite  secular  work—— Orthopaedic  Shoe-making.


Gordon  and  I  got  along  super  well,  he  was  a  great  guy  to  work  for.


It  was  the  time  when  all  the  Western  world  was  concerned  about  moving  from  1999  to  2000.  A  guy  10  years  earlier  had  warned  the  world  unless  they  re-serviced  all  their  computer  machines,  it  would  all  crash.  I  heard  him  speak  on  the  radio  a  few  years  earlier.  Then  many  people  were  thinking  the  world  was  going  to  end  in  some  crazy  computer  way,  and  people  would  be  fighting  each  other  to  survive.  Well  I  also  heard  him  speaking  6  months  before  2000  year;  he  said  the  world  had  heard  his  message  and  it  was  all  being  done,  and  there  was  now  no  concern  about  some  massive  meltdown  and  fee  fall.  So  confident  was  he  that  he  said  he  would  be  up  in  a  plane  as  the world  rolled  over  from  1999  to  2000.  I  tried  to  assure  some  Christians  that  all  would  be  just  fine  and  not  to  worry,  but  some  worried  anyway.  It  all  went  as  smooth  as  a  baby's  bottom.


There  was  a  number  of  Sabbath  observing  groups  in  Calgary,  besides  the  SDA  churches [about  five  of  them].  I  did  some  fellowshipping  at  some  of  them.  I  even  started  to  go  to  the  Messianic  Group [Jews  accepting  Jesus  as  Savior].  It  was  an  interesting  experience,  and  some  others,  one  time  Radio  Church  of  God  people  were  attending  also;  got  to  know  them  very  well.


One  Sabbath  with  the  Messianic  Jews,  while  sitting  at  a  table  eating  snacks  with  the  one  time  members  of  the  Radio  Church  of  God,  I  happened  to  mention  I  had  a  website  that  was  now  on  hold  because  the  man  uploading  for  me  could  no  longer  spare  the  time.  I  asked  if  anyone  knew  of  someone  who  could  do  it.  It  was  a  woman  called  Carrie,  in  her  really  40s  who  said,  “That  is  my  skill,  I  can  teach  you  how  to  do  it  yourself.”

“O  really.  Wow…. That  would  be  great”  I  replied,  “And  of  course  I  will  pay  you.”

So  it  was  set  Carrie  would  teach  me  how  to  look  after  my  website  myself.


Over  the  next  6  months  Carrie  gave  me  lessons  and  it  was  super  to  learn  how  to  upload,  and  take  full  charge  of  my  website.  Carrie  re-vamped  my  site  somewhat,  but  teaching  me  to  look  after  it  all  was  fantastic.


It  was  now  a  year  and  a  half  since  I  was  working  for  Gordon,  and  I  knew  time  was  about  up,  for  he  was  going  to  move  down  south  of  the  Province  to  retire.  I  did  find  work  again  as  a  part  time  shoe-repair  man.  The  couple  who  owned  the  shop  were  very  nice.  I  was  working  for  them  the  day  of  9/11 - 2001.  The  radio  was  not  on,  and  so  I  knew  nothing  as  to  what  happened  in  New  York  city  till  I  got  home,  and  of  course  it  was  all  over  the  TV  stations.  Terrible - it  was  beyond  words.


I  had  built  up  my  music  students,  and  most  were living  in  one  section  of  Calgary.  There  was  a  Music  School  there,  and  they  were  happy  to  employ  me  as  a  full  time  guitar/banjo/mandolin  teacher.  So  I  was  back  into  being  a  full  time  music  teacher.  I  worked  for  that  music  school  for  5 years.  Had  some  wonderful  students,  all  ages  from  7  to  70.


My  website  was  moving  along  very  nicely;  it  was  super  when  people  would  text  or  email  me  about  Bible  questions.  I  was  enjoying  music  teaching.  I  was  still  attending  once  a   month  at  the  Messianic  church.  Carrie  was  still  attending  also.  One  Sabbath  she  informed  me  the  cancer,  that  she  had  beaten  8  years  previously,  was  back.  O  my  what  a  sad  note  that  was,  a  young  lady  only  44  was  facing  a  return  of  cancer.  Carrie  had  become  such  a  good  friend,  and  a  servant  of  the  Lord.  She  was  a  good  writer,  with  a  good  sharp  mind.  She  had  taught  me  so  much  about  my  website,  and  how  to  handle  it  all.  Cancer  at  age  44…. Sad,  sad  indeed.


The  months  went  by  and  it  did  not  look  good  for  Carrie.


She  finally  came  to  me  to  talk  about  the  possible  end  of  her  life.


She  was  most  concerned  about  her  website  that  she  had  recently  started.  I  told  her  to  upload  it  to  my  website  and  it  would  always  be  there  as  long  as  my  website  existed.  This  she  did,  and  it  is  still  there  to  this  day,  March  2021 as  I  enter  this  chapter.


Now  today  2021,  my  server  is  down,  and  may  not  ever  be  back  up.  But  you  can  access  my  website  this  way——  


Go  to  Wayback Machine

Type  in  keithhunt.com

Choose  2017

Choose  April


All  links  will  work


Carrie  wanted  me  to  conduct  the  funeral  service.  She  told  me  what  she  wanted  me  to  include  in  my  sermon  type  message  about  her.


And  so  it  was;  a  few  months  later  Carrie  died.  I  did  what  she  asked  of  me.  I  inherited  her  cat  Daisy,  a  very  sweet  natured  cat,  much  like  Carrie  was.


Carrie  went  by  another  name  on  her  website—— Jesse Ancona.


It  was  one  of  the  blessings  from  the  Lord  that  I  was  given  in  my  lifetime,  to  meet  and  work  with  Carrie.  I  look  forward  to  seeing  her  again  in  the  resurrection.


………………..


To  be  continued


No comments:

Post a Comment