Friday, May 3, 2013

Do you like GOOD Education??

I  HOPE  YOU  DO  LIKE  GOOD  EDUCATION  ......  for  your  CHILDREN
especially!!  And  for  you  older  ones ..... for  your  GAND-CHILDREN.

GOING  BACK in  my  life....... I  was  as  a  young  one [5-11 years]  a  VERY  poor  reader.  The  teachers  in  the  Church  of  England  school  I  attended,  liked  to  have  a  book  and  one  by  one  us  kids  had  to  start  reading  a  few  sentences  or  a  paragraph  out  loud; there  was  40  of  us  in  a  class.  I  used  to  dread  and  hate  that  class  reading. When  it  got  to  a  few  kids  before  me,  I  would  try  and  guess  what  I  would  be  reading,  and  go  over  it.  Most  of  the  time  my  guessing  was  correct,  if  it  had  not  been  I  knew  I  would  be  in  deep  trouble,  and  very  embarrassed.

We  had  no  teacher  or  anyone  who  would  help  students  like  me,  after  hours  help.
My Dad was  working  a  night  shift [12 hour shift]  so  I  hardly  ever  saw  him;  he  would  work  often  7  days  a  week  for  9  months  straight.  For  whatever  reason  my Mom  did  not  help  me,  well  I  don't  think  she  knew,  I  certainly  never  told  her  I was  a  terrible  reader.  There  was  just  no  one  back  in  the  early  1950s  at  least  in the  Church  of  England  school  system  that  helped  bad  out-loud  readers  like  me.

Then  in  Britain  they  had  this  terrible  education  system [now  been  abolished  for  decades  glad  to  say]  that  at  age  11  you  took  this  National  exam;  they  were  going  to  weed  the  sheep  from  the  goats.  If  you  passed  you  went  on  to  schools  that  were  the  stepping  stone  to  Oxford  and  Cambridge  Universities.
The  HUGE  crazy  mistake  was  the  exam  was  not  based  upon  any  real  "school  work"  you'd  done  up  to  age  11;  it  was  based  upon  "IQ"  -  silly  questions  that  to  me  never  made  sense,  were  illogical,  and  just  darn  STUPID!

I  failed  the  exam.

So  "ordinary"  school  it  was  for  me.

Britain  finally  wised  up  after  I  left  for  Canada  at  age  18.  They  came  to  realize  some  kids  are  "late  bloomers."  I  was  one  of  them,  for  after  the  age  of  12  was  when  I  mushroomed  in  every  aspect  of  education,  including  reading  out-loud.

Then  about  10  years  ago  when  teaching  guitar  full  time  for  a  Music  School  here  in  Calgary;  one  young  lady  student  I  had  age  17,  came  in  one  day  for  her  lesson,  very  upset.  I  asked  her  if  she  cared  to  tell  me  what  was  bothering  her. Oh  she  said,  "I  have  to  have  this  French  magazine  assignment  done  in  a  few  days."
"So  what  do  you  mean  magazine,"  I  asked.
"It  is  16  pages  long  in  French;  and  I  have  never  taken  French."
"Well  what  on  earth  are  you  doing  so  now," I  enquired.
"Oh,  I  did  not  want  to.  They  are  MAKING  me  take  one  semester  of  French."

I   WAS  DUMFOUNDED!  I  COULD  NOT  BELIEVE  SUCH  WOULD  BE  THE  CASE.

When  she  finished  that  semester  she  came  for  her  guitar  lesson with  one  large  smile  on  her  face,  and  the  first  words  she  said  to  me  was...."WOW  YIPEE,  I  NEVER  HAVE  TO  TAKE  FRENCH  AGAIN  IN  MY  LIFE."

SO  CANADA  IS  AN  OFFICIAL  "BI-LINGUAL"  COUNTRY  -  ENGLISH  AND  FRENCH,  everything  you  buy,  the  label  has  to  be  in  BOTH  English  and  French.  We are  "official"  bi-lingual  BUT  IN  THE  WEST  NO  ONE  USES  FRENCH,  FROM  THE  CANADIAN  PRAIRIES  TO  THE  WEST  COAST,  NO  ONE  USES  FRENCH!!  ANY  PERSON  FROM  QUEBEC  COMING  TO  THE  WEST  HAD  BETTER  LEARN  ENGLISH  MIGHTY  FAST,  BECAUSE  THAT  IS  ALL  WE  SPEAK  IN  STORES  AND  WORK  PLACES.  ETC....ENGLISH.

THEN,  about  6  years  ago  I  had  a  14  year  old  girl  come  to  me  for  guitar  lessons.  I  will  never  forget  her  name....NATASHA.  She  came  for  her  lesson,  mind  a  million  miles  away.
"Natasha....would  you  like  to  tell  me  what's  on  your  mind?"
"I'm  in  trouble  with  'math'  at  school.  My  parents  bring  in  twice  a  week  this  math  tutor  to  help  me  get  through  this  math.  If  I  fail  it,  I  fail  my  grade."

Then  she  went  on  to  give  me  some  "math."

"Wow,  hold-up  Natasha.....you  have  left  me  in  the  dust;  I  have  no  clue  what  you  are  talking  about.  This  is  rocket-science  math.  Do  they  not  know  you  can not  all  work  for  Nasa."

AT  AGE  14,  THE  SCHOOL  SYSTEM  WAS  TRYING  TO  GIVE  THEM  ROCKET-SCIENCE  MATH......WOWWWW......I'D  NEVER  HEARD  OF  THE  STUFF;  IT  WAS  LIKE  FROM  ANOTHER  PLANET!

Depending  where  you  are,  you  may  also  have  nightmare  stories  you  could  tell  about  "education"  for  school  kids.

A  MOVIE  THAT  CAME  OUT  IN  2012  CALLED  "WON'T  BACK  DOWN"  -  A  TRUE  LIFE  MOVIE,  IS  ALL  TO  DO  WITH  SCHOOLS  AND  EDUCATION  FOR  CHILDREN.
WON'T  BACK  DOWN  stars  Maggie  Gyllenhall  Viola  Davis  and  Holly  Hunter.

IT  IS  A  MOVIE  I  RECOMMEND  ALL  FAMILIES  SEE.

MAKE  SURE  YOUR  CHILDREN  ARE  GETTING  THE  BEST  EDUCATION  THEY  CAN,  FROM  TEACHERS  WHO  REALLY  DO  WANT  TO  MAKE  A  DIFFERENCE  IN  YOUR  CHILD'S  EDUCATION.
..........




No comments:

Post a Comment