Sunday, August 14, 2011

"THE HELP" - a Great movie!!

Based on one of the most talked about books in recent years and a #1 New York best seller list.

I was raised in a church of England school (grade 1 through 12) and attended Sunday School at my local neighborhood church till I left for Canada at age 18, in 1961.

I grew up then knowing God made all people and all races, and so all were equal in that sense, and certainly there should be no race discrimination. I knew just about nothing of USA history except they broke away from Britain some centuries ago. I did not know anything about the USA in the 1950s as a teenager, except many rock n' roll singers, Elivis, Slim Whitman, and Connie Francis, came from the USA, and of course I was a mighty great fan of Roy Rogers and Trigger. We had many of the popular weekly USA half hour shows on British TV, like "I Love Lucy" - "Gun Smoke" - "Bonanza" - and etc.
But USA history of the 1950s I knew nothing.

After coming to Canada in 1961, I was too busy with horses and my life in the West, to pay much attention to USA news or life in general in the USA. Of course I new about the assassination of JFK and
Martin Luther King, and the Vietnam war, but I really did not pay very much attention to anything in the USA. I knew nothing much about the race issue in the USA. In fact it was a decade or more later that I began to learn about the USA race issue in the USA during the 1950s and 1960s. I was shocked to find out the history of slavery in the USA and though the blacks had been free for centuries, the race factor was shocking terrible right into the middle of the 20th century, especially in parts of the deep south of the USA.

I had no idea as a young man just how bad it was and how even "religion" had a part in it all, by people
who mistakingly thought they were on God's side and figured the Bible also taught them to look at the blacks in a way far from the way I had read the Bible and thought of the blacks.

The recent movie based on the book "The Help" though a fiction book, it most assuredly based upon real facts of the racism in the USA during the 1960s.

The movie is a shocking tale of reality as it was in parts of the USA in the middle 20th century. It should be required seeing in all High Schools in the USA, and come to think about it, probably the whole world. It is a sobering, funny at times, courageous, and inspiring movie. I give it two thumbs up and 5 star rating.

YOU NEED TO SEE IT!! Yes you and your whole family, children over 8 should be able to follow it and see the lessons and hardness of some and love from others. Such as the race issue was in the USA during the first half of the 20th century is painful to have to recall and admit, but true history must forever
remember the wrongs, so we can right them, and move along to never repeat them.

I was taken by many of the great acting parts of the ladies in this movie. Emma Stone, the young lady playing Skeeter......her eyes reminded me of one of my favorites.....Glynis Johns when she was young. Emma Stone has the same eyes with the correct shape of the eyebrows (like Glynis) to match the eyes, hence beautiful eyes like the young Glynis had.

So put this movie on your list to make sure you see it, and tell others about it, so they will see it.
..........

No comments:

Post a Comment