Monday, January 3, 2011

Old Robin Hood - very good

We had I think TWO large productions over the last number of decades of the famous Robin Hood and his merry men - Kevin Costner about 20 years ago movie, and the recent Russell Crowe/Cate Blanchett - 2010, beginning saga of Robin Hood.

Both the Costner and Crow movies are good, I have them both.

But recently I sent for the old big production of Robin Hood staring Errol Flynn and Olivia deHavilland, made in 1938.
The color in the latter is superb. And I must say I enjoyed the overall free spirit of the movie and it also had great action scenes. It is the two-dic special edition, so the second disc has all kinds of goodies. I bought it from "MoviesUlimited.com" and the price was very good indeed for a special edition.
Of the three Robin Hood movies I've mentioned, the latter one would be the best for the whole family, and in some ways is still better than the modern two I first mentioned above.

As an added interest for lovers like me of Roy Rogers and Trigger. Trigger is in the 1938 movie. Roy Rogers did not buy Trigger until about 1942 and so the great Golden Palomino Stallion (that was as gentle as a lamb) was used in other movies besides Roy Rogers' movies. Olivia deHavilland rides Trigger. There is only one time deHavilland is on Trigger - the time she rides into Sherwood Forest with others, but Olivia is on Trigger. The scene is nothing fancy per se but there is Trigger with two other horses, one on each side of him, and Olivia riding proudly on one lovely golden horse.

Yes, for a Robin Hood FAMILY movie they don't make them any better.
..........

No comments:

Post a Comment