Saturday, August 21, 2021

POET'S CORNER #3

 

The POET'S Corner

Poems you may not Know!

                                   THE POET'S CORNER #3





IN HIS STEPS 
by Leona Bay Gater


"The road is too rough," I said 
"Dear Lord there are stones that hurt me so!" 
And He said, "Dear child, I understand, 
I walked it long ago."

"But there's a cool green path" I said, 
"Let me walk there for a time." 
"No child," He gently answered me, 
"The green road does not climb."

"My burden," I said, "is far too great; 
How can I bear it so?" 
"My child," said He, "I remember its weight 
I carried my cross, you know."

"But," I said, "there were friends with me 
Who would make my way their own." 
"Ah, yes" He said, "Gethsemane 
Was hard to face alone."

And so I climbed the stony path, 
Content at last to know 
That where my Master had not gone 
I would not need to go.

And, strangely then I found new friends, 
The burden grew less sore 
And I remembered, - - - - long ago 
He went that way before.
......



NOW MAY THE GOD OF POWER AND GRACE

by Isaac Watts (1674-1748)


Now may the God of Power and Grace, 
Attend His people's humble cry; 
Jehovah hears when Israel prays, 
And brings deliverance from on high.

The Name of Jacob's God defends, 
Better than shields and brazen walls; 
He, from His sanctuary sends 
Succour and strength when Zion calls.

Well, He remembers all our sighs;
His love exceeds our best deserts, 
His love accepts the sacrifice 
Of humble groans and broken hearts.

In His salvation is our hope. 
And in the Name of Israel's God, 
Our troops shall lift their banners up 
Our Navies spread their flags abroad.

Some trust in horses trained for war, 
And some of chariots make their boast; 
Our surest expectations are From thee, 
the Lord of heavenly hosts.

Now save us, Lord, from slavish fear; 
Now let our hopes be firm and strong; 
Til thy salvation shall appear 
And joy and triumph raise the song.
......

                           .....................


To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment