Sunday, April 3, 2011

The VERY Talented Mickey Rooney!

As a kid growing up in Britain I did not see even one Mickey Rooney movie. Yes I knew of him, saw him in "bit parts" in this or that movie. I never did see that famous "National Velvet" horse movie with the very young Elizabeth Taylor; didn't see that movie until about 6 years ago.
Even as an adult I never saw one Mickey Rooney movie - did not see one until a few months ago, yes at the age of 68 I saw my first Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland movie.....and  WOW....what a surprise I had.

For you who love musicals (as I do) then you just have to get some of the musicals of a young Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland - they made some truly FANTASTIC musicals together. In one of the "set" of DVDs I got of them, they interview Mickey, and he was proud to say that when Judy Garland was asked who her favorite man was that she paired with, her answer was Mickey Rooney.
On the same interview it states that a Hollywood critic writer asked some famous at the time, male film star (just forgotten who right now but one of the famous guys of the time) who was the most TALENTED Hollywood star, he immediately, with no hesitation, said it was Mickey Rooney.

As a young Mickey Rooney staring with Judy Garland, he was for 3 straight years Hollywood's BIGGEST box office star - he was top of the pack of all and every Hollywood star!

Well after watching a couple of his movies with Judy so far, I can see why he was top of the pack - you talk about talent. He was born into a family of stage performers (his Mom and Dad) and was on stage at the age of 2 years. Well Mickey never grew very tall at all, a real small guy, BUT HIS TALENT was like a MOUNTAIN. He could sing; he could dance; he could play the piano; he could play the drums like out of this world; and even play the ..... the thing with many metal slats of different lengths you hit with little hammer type mallets - I think they call it a Xylophone. And to top it all off he could act as good as anyone.

Truly this little man was HUGE with talent!!

So if you like musical movies as I do, you have just got to get some of those musical movies that star Mickey Rooney and the great Judy Garland.

The place I get them form is:  moviesunlimited.com

..........

No comments:

Post a Comment