Friday, January 20, 2012

ABC 20/20 and Cruise Ships

Tonight - Friday January 20th 2012, ABC 20/20 had an hour long program on "Cruise Ships."

If I had any thought (which has crossed my mind now and then) of taking a Cruise on any Cruise Ship to anywhere, tonight's program by 20/20 has cast it out of my mind forever.

When I came to Canada in May 1961 I chose to come via Cruise Ship - one of the Cundard ships back then. When I compare my memories of that Cruise Ship and compare the Cruise Ships of today as shown by 20/20 .... well to compare .... I would say it is like comparing a grade one class to a University. The University being the Cruise Ships of today. A MASSIVE HUGE difference!

My 1961 ship was about 1/10 the size, had one entertainment, dance room; I do not remember if it had even a swimming pool, if it did I never used it. I do remember it had a movie theater which I did use. There were no people constantly carrying alcoholic drinks around and tempting you to buy and drink, as they do on Cruise Ships today. And back in 1961 the society was more moral and in control; there was no drunks wandering up and down or staggering around the dance floor or getting into fights, as can be common on Cruise Ships today.

20/20 brought out the side that few "cruise people" know about and certainly do not see - the below the water line, off limits to the cruise public - just for the ship's staff, and as one very experienced "cruise staff guy" (he's written 3 books on "Cruising") explained to 20/20, that's where the REAL partying is - the staff getting drunk and having sex - saying what goes on there would make a certified "brothel" look like a Nunnery!

So with the HUGE populations of these Cruise Ships today, the sicknesses that could erupt, the drunks, the fighting that often happens, and the knowledge of what is going on below the water line .... and everything else 20/20 brought out .... NOPE not for me, and I would say not for the true Christian to put their money into. We are just not living in 1961 .... it's 2012 and much more wickedness and sin and corruption and evil, going on, on today's Cruise Ships.

The true Christian can find better ways to have a holiday than help the Cruise Ship business stay afloat, if the ship does not hit a rock like the recent one off the Italian coast, and sink (part or all).
..........

No comments:

Post a Comment