Monday, January 28, 2013

I own the world attitude....of some

While the USA is getting a blast of winter not seen in a decade or more, up here in Calgary, Alberta, we are having above normal temperatures for January (usually our coldest month of the year), so today I was out riding my horse Goldie. Going along the trail that is on the left side of the fence that runs along side a main road, we come to a dirt road (but not for cars - a walking your dog, jogging road) that runs around the North side of sub-division, and the south side of a southern river below Calgary (we are 20 minutes west of Calgary). The dirt road (covered with snow at present) is about 15 feet wide.

Some people use it to flat ski on, they have been going west on the north side and coming back on the south side. I ride in the middle to not ride on their ski tracks.

Turning around I'm coming back towards the stable where I board Goldie. This old fellow comes along towards me on his skies, I stop Goldie to let him pass, she is not used to seeing skiers; did not want to take any chance she would jump to one side as the skier came. The fellow say, "You should not be riding on here." I replied, "Well there is no sign anywhere that says I cannot ride my horse on this wide trail." He then gets angry. I say, "I'm riding in the middle so your ski tracks will not be touched." Now he really gets upset, and using the word "hell" he again lets me have it. Again I say, "Well there is no sign up to say I cannot ride my horse here."

On the way back I'm thinking he'll probably go to the town whoever nearby and get me stopped from riding my horse, as he seems to have the attitude he owns the trail. I arrive back at the stable, put Goldie back out on the large range, go inside the heated kitchen and have my meal, ready then to head for the Community Center to teach some students guitar playing. I'm just about to leave when Brandi, one of two full time staff calls me over. "Keith, we've had the town council man here...." I thought ya just as I was kinda expecting. "He says you can ride on the NORTH side of the wide trail road, because the north side is Indian land."  I was pleasantly surprised. "Well if I do I will be riding on the flat skier's tracks, " I replied. "Well you can ride on the North side he told me, as it is Indian land."  "So," I answer, "they are supposed to just have one ski track, going done and coming back on the same ski track." "Yes that is correct Keith," Brandi answers.

Well was I happily pleased, good for the Indians I thought. I guess that old man skier will have to now admit his attitude needs to be adjusted, and realize he does not own the world.  Too bad that some think this way at times, and cannot bear to share things. People and children are staving to death here and there, and some people are so selfish they cannot but think about themselves and no one else. Well a lessons learned today for one old grumpy selfish skier man. Maybe he'll think twice now before complaining; but doubt he'll say hello to me if we meet again. Never went to see it but they made a movie a little while back called "Grumpy Old Men." And it seems some are!
..........

. .

No comments:

Post a Comment